Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,908   Posts: 1,521,507   Online: 916

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Assistance sleuthing a light leak. Your thoughts?

I am not an amateur but perhaps I've made an amateur mistake somewhere. I doubt it after 20+ years of developing my own film but I am indeed willing to admit a mistake if I made one.

This image below was developed using (fresh) Xtol stock and fresh fixer developed for just under 10m wth a 2m pre-soak at about 8C. This is (new, unexpired) Tri-X 400 @ 1600 shot with a Nikon FE2 (and vacillating between a 28mm, 55mm and 300mm fixed lenses). I shot a roll just before this one (c41 @ 800) that came out fine. This one, clearly, did not.

I am truly surprised this happened and am trying to pinpoint where the problem originated. The film back did not get opened during the roll (and fwiw the film was loaded in 'subdued' light). What also surprised me about this fogging is that although the (entire) roll was fogged one way or another, certain images came out that were in between completely fogged images (e.g. no image).

Clearly we're seeing light leaks through the sprockets...

One thing I know for sure- the light leak is not a result of lens switching (e.g. light sneaking in through the lens opening from a torn curtain or whatever)...

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130119_200027-light-leak-trix-400-at-1600.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	325.1 KB 
ID:	62911

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by fotoobscura View Post
    What also surprised me about this fogging is that although the (entire) roll was fogged one way or another, certain images came out that were in between completely fogged images (e.g. no image).
    Even highly fogged film should have images on it, unless it's at Dmax. Are you saying that the severely fogged areas have no images? In your attachment, I see progressive fogging toward the right side and no images, as if only part of the roll had been exposed.

Also, what kind of tank did you use? A Jobo?

Mark Overton

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well, yes and no. The severely fogged areas have "streaks" on them but no latent image (that is, nothing that resembles a photograph).

I used a Paterson tank that can handle (1) 35 or (1) 120 reel.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Looks like lack of light to me. It is a negative as it's seen, right? So the light areas from the sprocket holes are not where there was more light but less. Right?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Are you quite certain it's fully fixed? If not, might be worth clipping off a bit for an extended fix test.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is the reference to "8C" an error?

Is there any chance this film has been exposed twice?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    +1 on Mr Bill's comment, it looks like your fixer is going off.
    -Fred

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Bill was right. I fixed for an additional 3 minutes and the images cleared. Now, why literally fresh fixer (as in, a few days mixed) couldn't fix a roll in three or four minutes escapes me. This has been my process for at least 10-15 years with no problems. Clearly I made a mistake somewhere in mixing the fixer. I guess.

The other thing that threw me off, and I mean *really* threw me off was that my FE2 had a spring problem that I had to fix which caused multiple exposures as a result of the lever advance not "locking" between frames. This caused several blank frames throughout the roll which, unfixed, *appeared* like fogged out *latent* images. They were in fact unfixed *unexposed* images.. To the wise observation of another poster, the "fogging" was inverted.

Sigh.

Okay everyone, thanks so much for your input..

Onward...Perhaps a little more diligently in the near future..

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Aspen View Post
    +1 on Mr Bill's comment, it looks like your fixer is going off.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    P.S. The roll of c41 that came out threw me off but it just dawned on me that my c41 blix was doing what it was supposed to do, unlike my bw fix. ..<whatever the 'rolls eyes' emoticon is>

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by fotoobscura View Post
    Now, why literally fresh fixer (as in, a few days mixed) couldn't fix a roll in three or four minutes escapes me. This has been my process for at least 10-15 years with no problems. Clearly I made a mistake somewhere in mixing the fixer. I guess.
    Hi, glad it was easy to solve. FYI, in the hi-volume processor where I spent quite a few years, we ALWAYS held back our new mixes until they had been screened. At a minimum, this included pH and specific gravity, which would catch almost any mixing error. Somewhere, you have to balance out the cost vs benefit of these checks, so... it just depends on how you see things.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin