Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,481   Posts: 1,571,145   Online: 1171

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    i aagree.films are more different than film developers and d76 is a great middle-of-the-road-developer. use it to fully understand it before trying another.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    another vote for caffenol ... its good-stuff !

SNIP

hi dorff

i just processed film in caffenol i mixed 2 months + ago which had maybe 8 or 9 rolls of film through it
    and a handful of paper. no replenishment, just a seasoned batch ...
    2 L lasted me 6 months last year, and hundreds of sheets /rolls of film + paper ...
    YMMV of course
    Since Caffenol has been a bit up and down for me, I just do not have complete confidence to use it for critical or once in a lifetime shots. Some will say the complete opposite, and I don't doubt that it works reliably for them. I do think that Caffenol requires more time and effort to understand and use than "brand name" developers such as D76, Rodinal etc., as there are more variables and more films that need special care. It is not a beginner's developer, despite what some may say. Okay if you are slightly bohemian about the results, but it has its advantages to be able to develop a film towards scanning or printing with greater ease and accuracy. Don't take this as me dissing Caffenol. I am only saying that with development being daunting as it is to a beginner, it is easier to use a one-shot developer like Rodinal - much less potential for disaster. Early disasters can put someone off film forever.

I would appreciate your formula for filter caffenol. Mine died after a week. User error somewhere on my part, but I don't know where. Do you add sulphite or another preservative?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you for the advice. I am formulating a plan, and will probably look into the books mentioned.

I do feel bad, however, for not articulating myself adequately. A lot can be accomplished with exposure and when printing; I want to learn what can be done when developing.

If this were the David Letterman show, and there was a segment called "Stupid Developer Tricks," would any advice be different?
    Truzi

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Truzi View Post
    Thank you for the advice. I am formulating a plan, and will probably look into the books mentioned.

I do feel bad, however, for not articulating myself adequately. A lot can be accomplished with exposure and when printing; I want to learn what can be done when developing.

If this were the David Letterman show, and there was a segment called "Stupid Developer Tricks," would any advice be different?
    Try to achieve a negative that contains all the qualities you need to take the imaging process further. Everything afterwards can be achieved one way or the other through printing techniques etc. If you want coarse grain, choose a fast film and grain accentuating developer such as Rodinal at higher temperatures. For most of the rest, choose the right film and develop normally.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin