Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,972   Posts: 1,558,698   Online: 839

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was kind of shocked when I ordered from Adorama in NY before Xmas and it was delivered the NEXT day to me in Vancouver.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tom_bw View Post
    I think I will try B&H. I guess I have to be a little careful to make sure brokerage fees do not kill my savings! Thanks for the recommendation.

Tom
    Check out the PUROLATOR GROUND option as well as the pre-paid duties. I haven't bought from freestyle since. But if you are stuck, just avoid UPS with their $30 + tax fees.
    Get it right in the camera, the first time...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mrred View Post
    Check out the PUROLATOR GROUND option as well as the pre-paid duties. I haven't bought from freestyle since. But if you are stuck, just avoid UPS with their $30 + tax fees.
    Another vote for B+H. They make shipping to Canada very easy. I get my C-41 kits from them- cheap, easy and fast. I have not found C-41chemicals in a hobbyist size anywhere in Canada.

Regina Canada (sounds more fun than it is)
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    I like B&H for a lot of my supplies but when in Vancouver, I support Beau as much as possible.

Part of the problem is that most film companies do not sell direct in Canada, they have a distributor who takes care of this - in Canada, this is generally a company called Amplis, who represents everyone from Tameron to Metz and yes, Ilford. Kodak is distributed by Hydes, which is owned mainly by Kodak, but also distributes other products (like Zippo lighters). Speaking with the Amplis representative (back when I worked in a camera store), while he would affirm the value of film for photographers, it makes up such a small part of the products line being sold, that it is difficult for Amplis to either negotiate a better price or worth their time to market aggressively. As a dollar value, they sell more Hahnemühle paper than film in Canada - when I told him that I bought my film from B&H, he said that B&H sells more B&W film every three months than Canada imports every year (not all of which sells). This quickly explains why prices are so much higher in Canada - it is not only increased transportation, distribution and importation costs, it is a matter of volume.

Good example, I bought 2 packs of 5x7 film from B&H for $98 including shipping/duty. My local camera store sells the same product for $74 a box (so $144) and because I used to work there, I asked what the actual cost Amplis charges is - $56 a box. So even if they sold it to me at cost, it is still $14 more than buying from B&H.
    Once a photographer is convinced that the camera can lie and that, strictly speaking, the vast majority of photographs are "camera lies," inasmuch as they tell only part of a story or tell it in a distorted form, half the battle is won. Once he has conceded that photography is not a "naturalistic" medium of rendition and that striving for "naturalism" in a photograph is futile, he can turn his attention to using a camera to make more effective pictures.

Andreas Feininger

Shooter
    35mm
    Another Vote for B&H. The deal with Purolator is a good one. A package starts at 8.95 shipping, while USPS charges start to 20 bucks. The B&H site will calculate the Taxes owing and B&H collects them as part of your order. I tried t work backwatds and figured that they probaly build in about 10 bucks for a papperwork fee, but even at that, it is still cheaper than the postal folks.

Freestyle does have a deal where small orders (under 150US) can go via a "postage arbitrage" deal where fed-ex ships them to a "random" contry where the postage costs are lower and mails them there. The order I tried came in a bit over a week and was mailed in sweden. Of course there is a bit of a risk of X-ray damage with that sceme. Not bad for chemicals.

Freestyle will also ship FED-ex, and it gets cheaper than postage at about a 20 pound order. Fed-ex will clear the package and charge Duty and Tax COD. There does not seem to be a clearance charge UNLESS there is more than 3 line items in teh shuippment, then you get charged about 5 dollars for each extra line item (not per item just one charge for each line on the invoice) so it is a good deal if you want the Private label stuff that Freestyle sells like Aristia Premium. {Note the premium in the last catalog was marked "Low prices while stock lasts" so the price may be on teh way up, or perhaps the stock will be drying up. The bulk is on their Clearance page)
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I like the part where it is charged before shipping. I was wondering how Freestyle did that FED-ex offer. Kind of concerned when it stated it would take an additional time. I usually do the USPS deal and it gets here in 5 days. So far they have covered any film ruined during delivery.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    B&H photo is amazing. I placed an order on Tuesday, and recieved it Friday (3 days later). I selected to have B&H "take care" of the customs / brokerage, and there was nothing to pay when the parcel arrived (the HST is included in fees). Thanks for the recommendations!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yeah, since B&H started doing that I only order from FreeStyle what I absolutely have to. They really have to re-examine how they deal with shipping charges before I can take them serriously anymore.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Get a head shaker from THESE film sellers in Canada. Check their $$ on 35mm film: $64.00 for Tmax 3200 1 ROLL. Isn't this sort of thing illegal ? http://www.amazon.ca/gp/aag/main?ie=...I&tag=vig07-20
    Last edited by dances_w_clouds; 02-09-2013 at 12:18 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Maybe they think they are all 'collectables' now. lol!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin