Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,506   Posts: 1,543,518   Online: 1029

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've only used gold following sepia, but could get 15-20 8x10's out of it at room temperature. Heating it extended it for another 10-20 prints. This was on conventional silver prints, so I don't know the effect the heating would have on salt prints. It may be worth trying, though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hall View Post
    I just made some gold chloride, I now have 3 liters of 10%. It should last me the rest of my life. (even with those huge salt prints)
    I take it you mean 3 Litres of gold toner. 3 Litres of 10% gold chloride would need 300 grams of solid gold chloride which at current Photographers Formulary prices will cost over $20,000.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Yes, quite.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I remember when I was a kid looking for a good untouched gold spot. We'd lower a big sluice box
    off a 200 ft cliff down in some hole in the river, then find a good patch of black sand and work our
    asses off in a bucket brigade, and come home with about an ounce of gold. That was back when it
    was worth only $18.00 and ounce, or $9.00 apiece for the two of us - hardly worth it! But at today's
    prices, different story. But gold is valuable, so I too use gold toner heated, and only the min amt
    necessary to actually do the job in solution. I bought an extra bottle last yr in anticipation of the
    spike in gold pricing, but notice that gold chloride itself has barely risen in price. No need to raid
    Fort Knox.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    I remember when I was a kid looking for a good untouched gold spot. We'd lower a big sluice box
    off a 200 ft cliff down in some hole in the river, then find a good patch of black sand and work our
    asses off in a bucket brigade, and come home with about an ounce of gold. That was back when it
    was worth only $18.00 and ounce, or $9.00 apiece for the two of us - hardly worth it! But at today's
    prices, different story. But gold is valuable, so I too use gold toner heated, and only the min amt
    necessary to actually do the job in solution. I bought an extra bottle last yr in anticipation of the
    spike in gold pricing, but notice that gold chloride itself has barely risen in price. No need to raid
    Fort Knox.
    And Drew even had a photo taken:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Drew at Work.jpg  
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Matt,

You are obviously pulling our collective legs. That is way too young to be Drew.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Robert

Just out of interest how did you make a 10% gold toner solution and more importantly how does it perform?

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    If this is what you are asking...

I pounded down a ring and a few other pieces of gold, flat, from the wifes first husband. (she enjoyed it too)

Mixed up (outside) some Aqua Regia, boiled it, dropped in the gold. Let it go for a couple of days. Added a bit of acid when needed.

Let it sit for a week to dry, then weighed the result and mixed with distilled water.

Once in solution, I make a 1% working solution. 20cc's of gold and 200 grams of ammonium thiocyanate add to 2 liters of distilled water. heat to 80f and use until I get tired of waiting for it to tone something.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    There are a lot of formulas for gold toners. Some have a short life even in glass bottles, while others have very long lives. I use thiocyanate toners, for which I have seven formulas, for salt and kallitype prints. My cost is very low and toning consistent because i use toners as single shot. I mix a liter of the two stock solutions of my favorite toner. 5 ml of each stock solution are diluted to a liter. I use 20 ml of this diluted toner for an 8x10 print and then discard it. Some papers soak up more of every solution than do others partly due to paper weight, and partly due to sizing.

A little research into gold toners will quickly reveal all of the formulas I have collected through research, and make obvious the one I prefer.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin