Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,660   Posts: 1,481,547   Online: 1006

Shooter
    Medium Format

Hydroquinone test

Hydroquinone test? Better title!
    Is there a quick test to see if my Hydroquinone is still good? I have two 1lb. plastic jars of Kodak Hydroquinone that I know are very old, but don't know exactly how old. One is nearly white yet and the other is slightly darker. I've used all my "fresh bought" store stuff and thought I'd try this before I ordered more. I was just wondering if there is some kind of dip test or something I can use to tell. JohnW

Shooter
    Multi Format
    From your description it sounds like both are OK. If they were bad the hydroquinone would be a dark brown. Keep the jars in a cool place and do not expose them to light and they should last for years.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

mts
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am about to finish HQ stock that is at least 40 years old. It's in the original Kodak brown bottle and is light gray in color, and is just fine still. Sounds like yours has a few more years to go.
    By denying the facts, any paradox can be sustained--Galileo

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mts View Post
    I am about to finish HQ stock that is at least 40 years old. It's in the original Kodak brown bottle and is light gray in color, and is just fine still. Sounds like yours has a few more years to go.
    Yes, mine must be a little more modern since it's in Kodak's squatty plastic container. I got it from the widow of a friend of mine after he passed, but that was about 20years ago. I don't know when he got it, but he kept stuff in his dry, basement darkroom and I've been keeping it in my upstairs darkroom since I got it from her. I guess I'll just mix up some more developer and got to town. JohnW
    Last edited by John Wiegerink; 01-21-2013 at 09:22 PM. Click to view previous post history.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin