Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,685   Posts: 1,548,591   Online: 1258

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Distilled water works every time. Photoflow sometimes leaves streaks and needs to be wiped from the film. A distilled water rinse avoids touching the film.
    RJ

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Kehler View Post
    Les McLean advocated putting a capful of 99% isopropyl alcohol into the photoflow mixture to prevent drying marks. I have done it for years with great results. Just make sure you are not getting the cheaper 70% rubbing alcohol mixture as it contains several oils that will contaminate the water. Local drug store sells a bottle for $3-4 and it lasts years.
    I learned this method from Les as well. 1 capful of alcohol, 1 drop of photo flo in a tupperware container of distilled water. I use the water over and over again, adding more photo flo and alcohol each session. My non-chemists mind tells me that the alcohol keeps boogers from growing in the photo flo-enriched water.

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hanging wet film diagonally is better than hanging film vertically. The flow goes quickly to the bottom edge and gets off the picture area. With vertical hanging the bottom negative receives everything that has drained off all the negatives above it.
    Photography, the word itself, invented and defined by its author Sir John.F.W.Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society, Somerset House, London. Quote "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..". unquote.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There is no difference between 99%, 91% or 70% isopropyl alcohol other than the percentage of alcohol in the mixture. Since 70% is so much cheaper, often on sale, just use a bit more.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format

Getting a spot free film - my new method

Quote Originally Posted by PDH View Post
    I found the same method, living in the Desert our water is very very hard, at time I have left out a glass overnight and found a thin white film in the glass the next morning. I now mix all my chemisty paper and film with distilled water and only use tap water for rinse. Although I have not kept tack of the number of prints to a gallon of fix it seems to me that my fixer is lasting longer when mixed with distilled water.
    Try adding EDTA 2g/L one hour prior using tap water. It will adsorb all calcium and avoid streaking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Regina Canada (sounds more fun than it is)
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    There is no difference between 99%, 91% or 70% isopropyl alcohol other than the percentage of alcohol in the mixture. Since 70% is so much cheaper, often on sale, just use a bit more.
    My experience is different as I have found there to be some sort of mineral oil in the 70% with coats my negatives, leaving an oily sheen. Perhaps it is just the brand I purchased but for the extra 73 cents between the 70% and the 99%, I would get the better stuff. I actually purchased 4 bottles at Costco for $5.75 which should last 10-15 years. I also use it for cleaning (along with q-tips) as it evaporates almost instantly.
    Once a photographer is convinced that the camera can lie and that, strictly speaking, the vast majority of photographs are "camera lies," inasmuch as they tell only part of a story or tell it in a distorted form, half the battle is won. Once he has conceded that photography is not a "naturalistic" medium of rendition and that striving for "naturalism" in a photograph is futile, he can turn his attention to using a camera to make more effective pictures.

Andreas Feininger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The problem I think a lot of people have is they use way too much Photoflo. For my final rinse I take the film out of the developing tank and then fill it with distilled water and add a couple of drops of photoflo. I then mix the Photoflo to make sure it is evenly distributed. But you do not need to use even half a milliliter. I find using too much Photoflo leaves a residue on your negatives. You only need enough Photoflo to break the surface tension of the water.

Once I mix up the distilled water and the photoflo I let the film soak in it for awhile. Heck I've left it overnight when I've had to rush off to do something. I always cover it so no dust or lint falls into the water. Interestingly if you leave it for a couple of hours you will find the water is stained by a dye for certain films. Since I've seen this I am not shy about leaving it in the final distilled water and photoflo rinse for an extended period of time.

I don't understand the point of reusing the photoflo rinse water. I guess you can save some money on distilled water but distilled water is less than $1 a gallon in the US. For the casual photographer it is hardly an expense worth mentioning. A bottle of Photoflo even if you use it as a one shot will last YEARS.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Kehler View Post
    My experience is different as I have found there to be some sort of mineral oil in the 70% with coats my negatives, leaving an oily sheen. Perhaps it is just the brand I purchased but for the extra 73 cents between the 70% and the 99%, I would get the better stuff. I actually purchased 4 bottles at Costco for $5.75 which should last 10-15 years. I also use it for cleaning (along with q-tips) as it evaporates almost instantly.
    Never heard of any additives to isopropyl alcohol other than oil of wintergreen spiked alcohol which is dyed green. You could get ethyl alcohol which contained a denaturant but I haven't seen it in years. I doubt that any rubbing alcohol with additives could be sold in the US without noting the additives on the label. The US FDA is very strict in this respect. A difference between Canada and the US.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 01-25-2013 at 12:23 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kevin is in Canada, but I too am surprised he encountered a problem with 70% isopropyl alcohol, because it works fine for me.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Kevin is in Canada, but I too am surprised he encountered a problem with 70% isopropyl alcohol, because it works fine for me.
    I have a difficulty with a company like Costco which has stores in both the US and Canada having a special verson of rubbing alcohol just for Canadian distribution.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin