Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,943   Posts: 1,557,709   Online: 1220

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Getting a spot free film - my new method

I wanted to share my latest change in film washing protocol because it worked so well.

I was getting occasional drying mark and contaminants when drying film. I wash my film carefully in running tap water and tried varying concentration of Photo-flo and that didn't always work. I finally found a way that works for me on consistent basis.

I wash my film under running water as usual. When washing is completely done, I empty the tank and pour in store bought and bottled distilled water (the kind you drink) in it. Let it sit for 30 seconds or so and empty. Do it again and this time, add 0.5 ml (8 oz can) or 1 ml (16 oz can) of Photo-flo and let it sit for 60 seconds. Pull it out and let dry hanging vertically. This will end up in 1:500 concentration.

I measure this small amount of Photo-flo using plastic pipette that I bought bulk ($20 for 500 or something). It's not accurate, so approximate will do.

I've been enjoying blemish free wash for a while using this method.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It's a small world. Just the other day I also made a final rinse in distilled water. I filled a plate with distilled water and slid the 4x5 in there to and fro for a while. Result: Excellent.

A great tip!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've never had a problem with just running water then a sit in water and photoflo.

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Have been using distilled water for years with LPN, no streaking issues.
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Everybody's tap water is different - some will be fine just with that, some won't. Good tip and thanks for sharing. :-)

Regina Canada (sounds more fun than it is)
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Les McLean advocated putting a capful of 99% isopropyl alcohol into the photoflow mixture to prevent drying marks. I have done it for years with great results. Just make sure you are not getting the cheaper 70% rubbing alcohol mixture as it contains several oils that will contaminate the water. Local drug store sells a bottle for $3-4 and it lasts years.
    Once a photographer is convinced that the camera can lie and that, strictly speaking, the vast majority of photographs are "camera lies," inasmuch as they tell only part of a story or tell it in a distorted form, half the battle is won. Once he has conceded that photography is not a "naturalistic" medium of rendition and that striving for "naturalism" in a photograph is futile, he can turn his attention to using a camera to make more effective pictures.

Andreas Feininger

Shooter
    35mm
    been doing this for a couple of years now, still streaks here and there, still looking for that magic ratio of flo/LFN in distilled

so far, best results are about a drop per roll, with amount of distilled in proportion... but i bet it depends on the quality of tap water, distilled water, and on emulsion/base properties--i guess no one recipe would fit all

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sounds like a good idea.

Jeff

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I found the same method, living in the Desert our water is very very hard, at time I have left out a glass overnight and found a thin white film in the glass the next morning. I now mix all my chemisty paper and film with distilled water and only use tap water for rinse. Although I have not kept tack of the number of prints to a gallon of fix it seems to me that my fixer is lasting longer when mixed with distilled water.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Vilk,
    For LFN, I use 16 drops per gallon of distilled water (twice what Edwal recommends for distilled water and equal to what they recommend for tap water) and haven't had any problems.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin