Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,768   Posts: 1,516,491   Online: 846

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

DR Prints compared to drum scan print-advice pls!!

I finally got my darkroom set up and have started making prints . When I compare my darkroom prints to the prints I have made from the same negative that I have had drum scanned, the darkroom prints come out quite a bit softer. I'm printing from 4x5, so was expecting super sharp 'popping' images. The prints I have made from the scans are super sharp, so I know the problem isn't the negatives. I'm using a Rodenstock Rodagon 135mm, which I believe is a good lens, and I'm printing at f8 to f11. My question is this: Is it to be expected that professionally scanned negs will produces sharper more detailed results than darkroom prints, or am I doing something wrong? Any advice appreciated. Thanks in advance...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello and welcome to APUG. I have no knowledge of the scanning although it does not seem that it would be possible for the scans to be sharper. Are the negatives sharp when looking at them with a loop?
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    From what little I've gathered, most drum scans are done with a wet-mounting process. This enhances sharpness and clarity to a degree not otherwise obtainable. I understand that you can wet-mount negatives on a glass carrier in your enlarger, though the process is a bit messy.

Also check:
    • the alignment of your negative stage, lensboard, and baseboard.
    • the flatness of your negative in the carrier.
    • the safeness of your safelight
    • the freshness of your paper and chemistry

Good luck, and have fun! Please, let me know if you do wind up wet-mounting your negs—I've been considering the relative merits of doing the same myself.
    Henry C. Gernhardt, III

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Vibrating enlarger head? Need a little bit more contrast?

Shooter
    35mm
    Your question is one of those that bridges the APUG and DPUG forums.

Sharpness is a subjective response and is very much affected by image edge contrast. The drum scan will surely have some sharpening applied (because the scanning process involves some loss of sharpness). This can probably explain the difference between the digital and analog prints. Note that there IS an analog process (USM - unsharp masking) that can achieve the same results, but it's rather involved.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is a result of the scanning process, plus handling of the digital file thereafter.

You can adjust your optical printing procedure to get "sharper" results, but before you do so, you might want to consider the subject of "sharpness" a bit.

For some musings on "sharpness", see post #28 on this thread: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/1...ta-3200-a.html

Here is a direct link: http://www.apug.org/forums/viewpost.php?p=1426106
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Woah posted to wrong thread.

I can say something relevant though. I had an APUG member come to my darkroom to print one of his Medium Format negs on Silver Gelatin to see if he could meet the sharpness in his hybrid prints.

I liked the darkroom print better (no surprise there) and saw better resolution in terms of blades of grass that I could count, where he saw softness and held a preference to the printouts.
    Last edited by Bill Burk; 01-23-2013 at 12:57 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Posted to wrong thread

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    It's possible that your enlarger lens is lacking, or that you're stopping it down to the point that you're encountering diffraction.

Careful about mentioning scanners around here, they'll chase you off with pitchforks.

*edit*

read the post more carefully... Rodagon and f11... nevermind.

How long are you exposure times for printing? Its possible the focus of the enlarger is drifting during printing.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I would think you are not using a glass carrier and possible neg popping.
    I do both every day and one would not expect to be sharper or softer with a scanned print.

excessive sharpening aside you can pretty much mimic darkroom and digital prints .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Also be sure that both front and back of the enlarger lens are clean.
    Also, the scan digi side of this can involve a lot of "falsified" sharpness, as others have indicated.
    A hybrid site would be a good place to repost this question.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin