Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,746   Online: 790

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

PMK Pyro Developer Times - Book of Pyro the only source?

Hi All,

Im really getting into PMK pyro. i have developed one roll of trix and it seemed to come out fine. I have some FP4+ and some Pan F+ along with trix that i will be shooting on an upcoming holiday to scotland. my question is what speed should i rate these films at and then develop? i have googled my butt off but all i find is references to the book of pyro and the massive dev chart (which i tend not to believe). can anyone help at all??

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I use PMK a lot with FP4 and Tri-X.

FP4: EI-80. Develop in PMK 1+2+100 for 7 minutes at 75 degrees (24C).

Tri-X: EI 200. Develop in PMK 1+2+100 for 9 minutes at 75 degrees (24C).

Some examples:

FP4

Tri-X

Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    Medium Format
    wow thanks chris - looks fantastic. have you used pan f with this at all? maybe i should just stick with rodinal for this film... really like your examples - thanks for the tips!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I haven't tried PMK with Pan-F. I stopped using Pan-F because it became hard to get where I live. Now, all films are hard to get where I live and I order everything online now, so I should try it again. I loved Pan-F in Rodinal 1+50, it was a great combination.

I've gotten great results with PMK and Tmax 100 and 400, Tri-X, FP4, Fomapan 100, and Fuji Acros.
    Chris Crawford

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I have used PMK since 1994, wow, so for a while now. I usually double the exposure of the box speed with the usual caveats. There are many variations of staining developers, but this one has served me well and I'm more in to making a great image than testing developers my whole life.

I rate my fp4 at 64 (close to what chris does) which is about a stop less than box speed. There are times I rate it much faster though and develop the hec out of it.

My times are 12 min at the above temps in a rotary processor. (mostly 8x10 sheet film)

I would simply recommend doing a test roll and seeing if you like what you get.

One can get a great negative from just about any developer, it's a mater of getting to know it.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Why wouldn't you just go with Hutchings' recommendations for these films given in the end pages of The Book of Pyro, until you are able to do some film testing of your own?

Pan F+ with PMK Pyro (N+1, 12m, 21ºC) and Rodinal examples.

FP4+ with Pyro & XTOL examples.

The truth is out there (and even here on APUG). Google more butt.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Medium Format
    [QUOTE=ROL;1451535]Why wouldn't you just go with Hutchings' recommendations for these films given in the end pages of The Book of Pyro, until you are able to do some film testing of your own?

im afraid i dont have the book of pyro or know anyone who has a copy i can steal

Shooter
    Medium Format
    [QUOTE=wilfbiffherb;1451715]
    Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    Why wouldn't you just go with Hutchings' recommendations for these films given in the end pages of The Book of Pyro, until you are able to do some film testing of your own?

im afraid i dont have the book of pyro or know anyone who has a copy i can steal
    Hutchings says that Pan-F doesn't stain well, but Tmax 100 doesn't either, but I love the look I get with it in PMK, so Pan-F may be good too.

In The Book of Pyro, he gives a time of 7.5 minutes at 70 degrees for Pan-F at EI-32
    Chris Crawford

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    Medium Format
    [QUOTE=chriscrawfordphoto;1451717]
    Quote Originally Posted by wilfbiffherb View Post

Hutchings says that Pan-F doesn't stain well, but Tmax 100 doesn't either, but I love the look I get with it in PMK, so Pan-F may be good too.

In The Book of Pyro, he gives a time of 7.5 minutes at 70 degrees for Pan-F at EI-32
    Chris,

Thanks very much! im on the lokout for the book of pyro but alas it seems pretty rare in the uk. thanks for hooking me up with the time/temp and iso rating. I got FP4+, TRIX and Pan F+ now and those are my main 3 films so i should be good to go!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin