Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,747   Online: 964

Images

CHeck for fogging

If I want to check for fogging in some old film would I expose it then develope it, or would developing unexposed film work?
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Regina Canada (sounds more fun than it is)
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Develop unexposed film. If it is fogged, once developed and fixed, it will not be clear but more of a foggy/misty look.
    Once a photographer is convinced that the camera can lie and that, strictly speaking, the vast majority of photographs are "camera lies," inasmuch as they tell only part of a story or tell it in a distorted form, half the battle is won. Once he has conceded that photography is not a "naturalistic" medium of rendition and that striving for "naturalism" in a photograph is futile, he can turn his attention to using a camera to make more effective pictures.

Andreas Feininger

Images
    Thanks.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Keep in mind that some films are not entirely clear after processing. Some have a rather high base+fog and it shows.

Check for evenness as well as fog.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Images
    Had not thought of that. I was planning to develop a sheet and drop it onto a white piece of paper. It was my understanding that films fog from the out in. Is this correct? I had not thought about general base+ fog. I don't have anything to compare this too. I am looking at some couple year out of date Delta 100, Efke 100, and really old JC 200. Are these noted for high Base+fog?

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Not so much the Delta, but the other two might be, the jc is probably foma, I'm sure someone will correct me if Im mistaken.

If it's heat fog, it may move from out to in, but if its fog from gamma radiation, it may not be. But... if the fog is even, its of little consequence you will be able to a certain degree compensate and print through it.

You can also add 5ml of a 5% benzotriazole solution (per liter of developer) to reduce the fogging.

Considering the cost of having film one can't trust, why anyone does this with old film, I just cant say.

If it's found film that has been exposed that might be a different matter.

Regardless, best of luck.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Images
    Those were my sentiments a couple of years ago. Due to circumstances beyond my control we had to move 5 years ago to a place I never wanted to be, to run a business I never wanted to run, and was working two full time jobs for three years. I wanted to photograph, I had ideas, I bought the film, and took a head first dive into a deep depression. I just walked away from the cameras and film. Left them where they were.

While the situation has not changed my attitude has and I have a couple hundred dollars in out of date poorly stored film. I hate the idea of tossing something that might be good. If it is not good I toss it. If it is good I use it.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Best of luck with a difficult situation then, Mark.

Let me know if I can help.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by mark View Post
    I have a couple hundred dollars in out of date poorly stored film. I hate the idea of tossing something that might be good. If it is not good I toss it. If it is good I use it.
    Shoot the first of each film type on repeatable shots, e.g. local scenery, use a low fog developer for 20% less time than recommended on box. Even if it fogs badly if it is uniform you can print though. The effective film speed will be reduced if it has bad fog as the (ISO) film speed is density above the fog/base level. Try 1/3 of a stop more exposure, initially.

Note Rodinal and Microphen seem reasonable for fog level although they are quite active...

Noel

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by mark View Post
    I have a couple hundred dollars in out of date poorly stored film. I hate the idea of tossing something that might be good. If it is not good I toss it. If it is good I use it.
    Shoot it at 1/3 of a stop more exposure, in case it is fogged. If the fogging is uniform you can print through it no problem, but the shadows may be under the fog density level hence the 1/3 of a stop more exp. Use 20% less time in developer, if you are [bad word] scanning [/bad].

Noel

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin