Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,894   Posts: 1,520,907   Online: 974

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is the current UltraFine still Made in England?
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ektagraphic View Post
    Is the current UltraFine still Made in England?
    Unless made to order by Harman my guess is that Ultrafine house brand in is Foma.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Does Harman not sell in bulk?
    Last edited by Ektagraphic; 08-16-2013 at 09:06 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ektagraphic View Post
    Does Harman not sell in bulk?
    Not since the the creation of Harman (Harmon?). There were lots of stories about the old Freestyle Arista Line. But it was Ilford products.

The story I heard and like the most (meaning I do not know if it was true, but sounds reasonable) was that British labor laws required workers be guarenteed a certain number of hours of work...which caused over-production. Ilford would then sell the excess in bulk to Freestyle and other companies at low prices to be re-branded...but with an agreement not to disclose that Ilford made it -- to preserve their own sales.

If Freestyle changes the name of their house brand, it usually means the source of the paper/film has changed. Arista, Artista-Plus, Arista-EDU.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PDH View Post
    Unless made to order by Harman my guess is that Ultrafine house brand in is Foma.
    I don't think it's Foma. Foma paper doesn't like my OC safelights, Ultrafine is ok with them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I bought some 120 B/W film from Ultrafine last year that is most likely Lucky. I believe Lucky also makes B/W paper. I have some of the Ultrafine paper, also bought last year. Comparing it to the Arista EDU Ultra VC RC, the texture is a bit different, it responds to contrast filtration differently, and the Ultrafine paper has a slight tendency to curl away from the emulsion side. This is the opposite of the Freestyle/Foma paper.

I think there is a distinct possibility the Ultrafine paper is Lucky, or Chinese made at least. There is no country of origin listed for either the Ultrafine 120 film or the Ultrafine paper.
    Last edited by desertrat; 08-17-2013 at 11:20 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Happiness is a load of bulk chemicals, a handful of recipes, a brick of film and a box of paper. - desertrat

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I did buy a roll of 120 ISO 400 from Ultrafine and it's spool and paper along with the seal are identical to that of Ilford film. Perhaps this stuff is Kentmere?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin