Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,002   Posts: 1,524,463   Online: 1024

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for all the feedback. I'll be careful with my exposures and will bracket the first roll. So this way I can fine tune everything after that.
    Aleksandra Miesak

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." - Dorothea Lange

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Because Pan F has such a short straight line section it needs much more careful exposure and dev than
    some films, and sometimes a modified formula if you are working in bright scenes. A staining pyro helps brings int the highlights very nicely. I don't use pyrocat but PMK: ASA 25 / PMK 1:1: 100 / 6 min
    @ 20C. Works best in softer light, or at least, not extreme brightness ranges. Pan F just won't dig deep
    down in the shadows - too much toe.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Drew, good info to have before I get out there and ruin a roll
    Aleksandra Miesak

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." - Dorothea Lange

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Don't get me wrong. I've gotten some wonderful mtn prints from PanF 120, but mainly on those days
    when the light was a bit softened by mist or rain or falling snow. It's nice on our foggy beach days too.
    But it's a poor choice if you want to dig way down into harsh high altitude shadows in bright sun and
    preserve the sparkle of highlights at the same time. You won't get much differentiation below Zone III,
    if you are into Zone System ideology. I use Efke 25 for extreme range work in small cameras - but with it going away, am going to compromise with Fuji ACROS instead. Pan F has a special look, so can be very rewarding - the highlights and upper mids can really open up with pryo - but it takes awhile to optimize this per exp & dev technique. Be aware it has poor latent image characteristics, so develop it fairly soon after exposure, not several months later!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Check out what Simon Galley has to say about the latent image characteristics of Pan-F+:

"Latent image stability, a real issue on papers and films, both colour and monochrome some are better than others but by and large they are all amazingly stable especially when you consider the LI performance of 50 years ago. If we talk about PAN F + when the ( all new ) plus emulsions were introduced, one major improvement was latent image stability. I should know, but I don't where PAN F + comes in LI performance compared to our other film emulsions but I will speak to our technical service, they will advise me and I will let you know in the next day or so. "....

I've long had the idea that Pan-F had an issue in this regard, but perhaps not.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Ilford Pan F Plus in Pyrocat HD... Help

Quote Originally Posted by erikg View Post
    Check out what Simon Galley has to say about the latent image characteristics of Pan-F+:

"Latent image stability, a real issue on papers and films, both colour and monochrome some are better than others but by and large they are all amazingly stable especially when you consider the LI performance of 50 years ago. If we talk about PAN F + when the ( all new ) plus emulsions were introduced, one major improvement was latent image stability. I should know, but I don't where PAN F + comes in LI performance compared to our other film emulsions but I will speak to our technical service, they will advise me and I will let you know in the next day or so. "....

I've long had the idea that Pan-F had an issue in this regard, but perhaps not.
    It's still an issue and Ilford reps have stated on the forum that so long as you develop within 3 months of shooting the film, you should have no worries.

It's one of those ... You deal with it because its such a great film.. Things IMHO

Also, why not just look at the times between HP5+ and FP4+ and half that time and subtract it from the FP4+ they are similar-ish films from the same company so the dev times should be a lot that much less of a stop from FP4+ to PanF+

It's a good starting point at least.

Good luck! I love it in Ilfsol 3 and Rodinal 1+50

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for mentioning that. I think I remember reading about the LI issue a while back but it somehow slipped my mind. I generally process my negs within a few days to max of 2 weeks from shooting. So I shouldn't have problems with LI. But at least now I'll have that in mind and especially remember that timing is a little more important with this film.

Thanks!
    Aleksandra Miesak

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin