Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,692   Posts: 1,548,957   Online: 771

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Ilford Pan F Plus in Pyrocat HD... Help

I decided to spend my Christmas amazon gift card I got from work on some film. I decided to give Pan F plus 120 a shot. I usually shoot FP4/HP5 and stew them in Pyrocat HD which I love. I also like that these films/developer combination are in the Massive Dev app for easy use. But that combination isn't there for Pan F (except pyrocat M which i don't have). Any tips on how to shoot/develop with Pyrocat HD? I don't really want to change my developer so even though I've seen people loving the Pan F/Rodinal combination I would really like to stick to what I already have/like.

Thanks!
    Aleks
    Aleksandra Miesak

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." - Dorothea Lange

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can find another, more broadly used film, like one of the two you usually shoot, and make a relative comparison of development times with the two developers you mention, from another chart, or source. Then apply the same difference factor to your time with either of the two films you reference. It may be not be perfect, but you'll probably be able to print them, because the reference time is based on yours, not someone elses.
    There is always the choice - find the final exposure and development recipe for a new film/developer combo over several rolls of normal shooting and tweaking, or just sacrifice one roll, bracket exposures over the whole roll (three sections, each with bracketed exposures), same subject and light, then process the three sections of film at three different times to establish a matrix of combinations, one of which should be very close.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Aleks, you have made a great choice in Pyrocat HD and Pan F. It is more contrasty than the other films you list, but because of the characteristics of Pyro, you often times get a very useful neg that is easy to control in the printing session.

For a standard contrast scene (normal daylight, nothing special), I would try 12-14 minutes at 72f 1:1:100 if you are printing with VC papers. I've haven't used graded papers with this combo, but I would suspect you'd need to shorten your time considerably. Shoot a roll and develop with the above times and go and try to print at grade 2 or 3. I think you'll be very impressed with the results.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you both for fast reply. I will start out with your recipe Klainmeister and adjust from there. I do use VC papers and adjust with filters so I know I'll be able to get prints as long as they are developed relatively well. So all I needed was a starting point to get going on experimentation.
    Aleksandra Miesak

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." - Dorothea Lange

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My records show P-cat-HD 1+1+100 for 15 mins @ 20c shot at box speed. YMMV, but it's a starting point.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    YMMV, but I only get an EI of 20 with Pan-F 120 in my Bronicas.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jim appleyard View Post
    YMMV, but I only get an EI of 20 with Pan-F 120 in my Bronicas.
    Interesting. In the field I couldn't tell a rats a$$ difference between 50, 40, 25 unless it had seriously deep shadows. But then exposure adjustment comes into play.

How are you printing?
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Klainmeister View Post
    Interesting. In the field I couldn't tell a rats a$$ difference between 50, 40, 25 unless it had seriously deep shadows. But then exposure adjustment comes into play.

How are you printing?
    I'm printing in a darkroom, (is there another way?). I get an EI of 50 when shooting PF in 35, but only 20 when shooting it in 120 size. I've "tested" my Bronicas against hand-held meters and my 35's with a gray card and all are withing 1/2 stop of each other. I think PF in 120 is an entirely different beast than in 35, but once I worked out the EI, no problem.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jim appleyard View Post
    I'm printing in a darkroom, (is there another way?). I get an EI of 50 when shooting PF in 35, but only 20 when shooting it in 120 size. I've "tested" my Bronicas against hand-held meters and my 35's with a gray card and all are withing 1/2 stop of each other. I think PF in 120 is an entirely different beast than in 35, but once I worked out the EI, no problem.
    I meant on graded or VC paper, etc. Soooooorrry!
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Klainmeister View Post
    I meant on graded or VC paper, etc. Soooooorrry!
    No apology necessary. I'm doing VC/RC paper, mostly. Yes, the print may be/ should be used as the final judge, but I often go on how the neg looks, too. Anything other than EI 20 with PF in 120 size give me a thin neg, even with a divided dev.

Perhaps it's me and my process, IDK, but I thought I'd pass along the info. The OP may get something very different.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin