Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,938   Online: 787

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi,

Here's an example of Neopan 400. I'm not sure if anything can even be told from a scan, but this is a 100% crop from a 1200 DPI scan. Good light, this was actually with my Spotmatic F and a Takumar 50mm i think.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8092/8...b74a5de1_o.jpg

Not sure about reticulation to be honest. At the most the difference would be from 20 to about 10 degrees. But this shot was developed in the summer so the water straight from my tap wouldn't have been that cold.

Maybe i'm just not used to what i'm seeing! These are my first own prints. I certainly don't mind the grain too much, just want to make sure i'm not doing anything wrong!

Thanks

Shooter
    35mm
    Seems that between the OP's statements on what he did and our statements on the film characteristics and I agree that with both Ilford and Kodak films we have very tough emulsions, we have ruled out most of the likely causes.

Uncertainty is a nasty companion but only the OP can remove him by developing the same film again whilst ensuring that the whole process from loading the film to processing it, is done as if it were a scientifically rigorous experiment on which his PhD depended.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    35mm
    OK Unless the little girl is a massive crop from the neg i.e. a tiny portion of the neg and enlarged massively and assuming that this scan is exactly as the print appears then something is clearly wrong. This is not normal grain by any definition.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Looks like a massive crop to me.

It could be nothing is wrong and OP just isn't used to grain. Having said that, a 5x7 enlargement from a relatively normally exposed and developed 35mm TMax 100 negative should be extremely fine grained. Developed in Ilfosol 3, the negative would be grainier than if it were done in XTOL or D-76, but it should still be very fine grained.

Neopan 400 is not exactly a fine grained film so the prints would be very obviously grainier than prints from TMax 100, but still pretty fine grained at this enlargement size.

High contrast printing will also emphasize the grain in the negative.

Shooter
    35mm
    We really need to see a scan of the prints in question that match in the OP's judgement of the actual print that made him draw the conclusion that the print was grainy. I am not clear why he chose to use a Neopan 400 scan when presumably he could have used a scan from his own print.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I wonder what OP meant by 100% crop of 1200 dpi scan.... 100% crop? Does the image look awfully low in contrast to anyone? Also incredibly unsharp?
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Are your negatives "flat" and do you filter under the enlarger to increase the contrast on paper? I noticed thet filtering to get higher contrast (grade 3-4) increases the grain visibility even with moderate speed film to the point it is somewhat intrusive on textureless areas.
    "The problem with photography is that it only deals with appearances." Duane Michals

"A photograph is a secret of a secret. The more it tells you the less you know." Diane Arbus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How much of the original area of your negative is the crop you're posting? Is the girl's face just one tiny bit of the entire shot? If so, no wonder it's grainy! If you make a print of the entire negative, you really shouldn't be seeing any grain in the print unless you're peeping it with a magnifying glass.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin