Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,288   Posts: 1,535,349   Online: 775

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Osuppliers New Jersey, USA

Recently the above named has started to sell Ilford paper on the U.K. e-bay in quite a big way. Does anyone in the U.S. know anything about them? They look to be a substantial player in the analogue market.

I am interested because they presumably buy paper directly from Ilford or via a distributor in what seems to be large quantities and they say that the BIN price includes VAT and duties plus postage. I presume a U.S. stockist can agree to pay the U.K. VAT( value added tax which is like a sales tax in the U.S.) and U.K. customs duty in advance so to speak?

They still want to charge more than any U.K. retailer I know of by a considerable margin so are wasting their time and money on U.K. e-bay. I even bothered to point this out to them but nothing has changed.

So my conclusions are that any reduction in their price would leave them out of pocket but if so why bother as simple research of the U.K market price would indicate that they cannot compete or that they believe that the U.K. market has consumers who are so used to being ripped off that they will pay their asking price

Clearly they believe it is worth their while to take the trouble to set up a process with the U.K. VAT and customs authorities and postal services.

An example of their prices is that for MGIV RC they want £82.75( ($132) for a 100 sheet box of 8x10 and for same size FB they want £155( $248)

As a matter of interest what might you U.S. APUGers expect to pay for these items from osuppliers? Please include relevant sales taxes and postal charges as the prices I have quoted from osuppliers include all charges

Your information is much appreciated

pentaxuser

Shooter
    35mm
    Could you provide a couple of the e-bay item numbers. Seaching for Osuppliers as a seller turns up someone not selling paper.
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

Shooter
    35mm
    OK I'll do that and thanks for the reply. I was beginning to wonder if this thread had sunk without trace

pentaxuser

Shooter
    35mm
    On google osuppliers only seem to be listed via e-bay. I cannot get to an actual osuppliers website or any other details of the business.

It has sold over 151,000 items on e-bay so is a big player but not all stuff is photographic and I don't recall seeing this name as a seller of paper in U.K. e-bay until very recently. I checked its film prices as well and they are equally outrageous.

In fact both paper and film prices are so outrageous that I cannot believe it can be offering either paper or film to N American e-bayers at anything like these prices.

It could simply be that they don't bother selling to the N American market and the paper selling to the U.K. is a speculative venture driven by what they see as a market in the U.K where we just accept high prices.

Anyway an item number is 230910602517 and this is MGIV VC Glossy 8x10 100 sheet box

Thanks for any help you can give to see if there is a N American price for such items

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When you look at theb sellers fedback there's rather a high number of Negative and Neutral comments.

They are paying US wholesale prices which are lower than the UK and then trying to sell much higher than UK swelles, on film they are about 40% more. Maybe that compared to Lomography prices they are competetive

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Ian they are either very stupid or they assume that U.K. buyers are very stupid. However what I am hoping to find out is whether the prices they are asking N American buyers to pay is a big enough margin to allow them to sell in the U.K. at a profit and still be slightly more competitive than U.K retailers which they currently aren't.

I have always had a suspicion that once the U.S./U.K. gap became big enough then some U.S. based enterprise will use what economists call the grey import route to re-export to us and still make a profit.

If the margin is small and the price they are asking on e-bay represents the minimum they need to make a profit then I can conclude that they are stupid as I stated in the original post as this price does not make the strategy worthwhile unless of course U.K. buyers can't even be bothered to check out U.K retailers and think that osuppliers prices represent good value

In which case I will conclude that as General Jack D Ripper said in "Dr Strangelove" to his seconded RAF officer: "Mandrake, the commies are poisoning the water"

pentaxuser

Shooter
    35mm
    interesting supplier, items they have listed on e-bay canada are all from Brampton Ontario! Woder where they are actually located. Most of the items on ebay.co.uk seem to say they are on Wales.

As far as a north AMerican price, B&H in NY shows
    B&H # ILMG481100G
    Mfr# 1770340
    The Stange ad also references 1770340 so the same item.. us price of Price: $66.99 . perhaps B&H has a deal to ship coals to newcastle that you couldtake advantage of...

for reference
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...IV_RC_DLX.html
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca

Shooter
    35mm
    Sorry Charles I had difficulty following your post. I think you are saying that where they say they are is based on which e-bay they are on? So on the U.K. e-bay they are shown as being in Wales? Does it show where in Wales?

In terms of the N American price what does B&H #ILMG481100G refer to and what is the Mfr reference?

What is the Stange ad?

The price of $66.99 is I think the price that someone charges for the MGIV paper in question. Am I right?

Thanks

pentaxuser

Shooter
    35mm
    P.S. OK the B&H price is $66.99(about £42) for the paper I was referring to which is Ilford MGIV RC 8x10 x100 sheet box. Is this the best price in N America?

If this is the case then a good U.K. retailer sells the same stuff for under £39 so I'll have to conclude that osuppliers are exceedingly stupid to expect to sell anything in the U.K. given that they are asking over double the price.

Maybe osuppliers also believes that in the U.K. the commies have poisoned the water and we have all been rendered stupid.

Thanks

pentaxuser

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    P.S. OK the B&H price is $66.99(about £42) for the paper I was referring to which is Ilford MGIV RC 8x10 x100 sheet box. Is this the best price in N America?
    Sorry that my post was confusing, yes I would guess that B&H has one of the best prices , B&H is a large multi-floor camera store in New York USA and they have a major mail order business. I often buy my film from them even though I am in Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    If this is the case then a good U.K. retailer sells the same stuff for under £39 so I'll have to conclude that osuppliers are exceedingly stupid to expect to sell anything in the U.K. given that they are asking over double the price.
    I would guess that a high volume suppler in the UK should be able to sell the product somewhat cleaper than someone who has to pay to get it across the atlantic in the first place.

As far as the E-bay seller, Most of the titems that they have listed on ebay.co.uk that I looked at ship from Swanasea (spelling) Whales. If I look at ebay.ca the same seller lists (different) items in Brantford ontario. I did not try e-bay com. MOST of the items in both places were Cell Phone add-ons and simalar items.
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin