Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,951   Posts: 1,585,990   Online: 818

Thread: Green film

Shooter
    Multi Format

Green film

I have recently purchased an Exa IIa and just had my test film developed - Agfa Vista plus - and it has come back green. I do not mean with a green cast but just green. Is this a lab problem or a film manufacturer problem? I have used the lab many times and have had no problems with them in the past. If it is the film, I have a sizeable batch of the same film which will not be good news.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	88540018.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	731.5 KB 
ID:	63202
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	88540002.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	682.7 KB 
ID:	63203

There is also a shutter problem which indicates a need for a CLA but that will wait for another day.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Whoa, that is green! Not a camera problem, but certainly in the film/processing. Agfa Vista hasn't been manufactured for a while, so could be just heat affected or stale film. Old film usually has a magenta cast, so possibly the lab has over compensated for this cast as green is the opposite to magenta. Could be a lab problem, but if it is then they are in a sad state!
    Shoot off some more, and maybe try another lab, but I feel some new film stock may be coming up

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I believe the problem is the age of the film. I shot some very out-dated Kodak a couple of years ago and experienced the same results.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Is this the "Agfa Vista" from Poundland ?
    In which case it's likely to be fresh and the edge markings will show it to be some sort of cheap Fuji.

Looks like minilab hell to me ...

Shooter
    35mm
    Looks as though just one channel, the green/cyan, has been printed (guessing it's maybe a scan-and-print machine).....I'm surprised the lab didn't spot something was wrong, you should certainly take it up with them.

The Agfa Vista 200 from Poundland is certainly from Fuji, and is, in my experience, very fresh and a great film for general shooting (and £1 a roll )

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, the film is from Poundland and well within its best-before date (February 2015). The lab did notice and bought it to my attention. I use them quite a bit and they assure me that the films either side of mine were fine.

I am going to dig out my film scanner and do my own scan to see if it is the film or the scanning. There is colour on the margins of the film but the actual frames don't show much colour at all - mind you, they are fairly overexposed but that should affect all three colour channels surely.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Peltigera View Post
    Yes, the film is from Poundland and well within its best-before date (February 2015). The lab did notice and bought it to my attention. I use them quite a bit and they assure me that the films either side of mine were fine.

I am going to dig out my film scanner and do my own scan to see if it is the film or the scanning. There is colour on the margins of the film but the actual frames don't show much colour at all - mind you, they are fairly overexposed but that should affect all three colour channels surely.
    Very odd....it will be interesting to see what you discover from your own scan. Colour on the margins of the film might tend to exclude a major negative processing or film problem.....but presumably the frames look different to those of known good negatives from other films?

Although, if the films either side of yours were OK, I suppose the filtration or scanning of yours could still be wrong (assuming it's the type of minilab where films are put through one-by-one). If the lab are co-operative, would it be worth asking them to reprint some of the negs, see if they can identify any issues?

Overexposure would likely affect all the colours, I've never heard of it bleaching-out the picture to one colour. Silly question....you didn't leave a coloured filter on the lens? (Even so, the lab printer should try to compensate for it.)

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin