Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,880   Posts: 1,520,508   Online: 857

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    if the shots are important, dev them separately or use a divided de like Thornton's.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DF View Post
    Pan F requires 8.5 minutes while Delta requires 12, according to the chart with D76 1:1. I've done Pan F with 10 minutes with good results, but If I bring it up to 12(to "please" the Delta), will it be damaged or just super high contrast? Is there an acceptable compromise between the two? Both rolls are of rainey night shots in the city - wet pavement reflecting lights/Christmas lights/cars zooming by/etc.
    Or, should one NEVER EVER attempt such a thing? I'm trying to kill two birds with one stone - since my time slot allows for just one roll/set to be developed.
    I develop pan F 120 film at 14 minutes in D76 at 1:1, 20c/68F with perfect results.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

DF

cliveh
    Basically what you're telling me, unlike everyone else here, is that it's O.K. to do what I'm considering...? Does 120 format require more development time than 35mm - 14 minutes?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Overdeveloping Pan-F is a Really Bad Idea because it rapidly becomes unprintable.

The only way this is going to vaguely work for you is to use a 2-bath developer, e.g. Diafine. Those are mostly time- and temperature-independent because the total development activity is a function of how much of bath A is absorbed into the emulsion before being activated by bath B.

Much simpler to just develop each film-type separately and correctly for the particular SBR that it was used with.

DF

O.K. I'm chickening out. I'll develop them separately.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    cliveh
    Basically what you're telling me, unlike everyone else here, is that it's O.K. to do what I'm considering...? Does 120 format require more development time than 35mm - 14 minutes?
    Forget the charts and use what works best for you.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    THE ONLY TIME it makes sense is if you are on deadline in the newsrooom... and still there was little harm in having two tanks going at once.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    cliveh
    You asked for opinions/advise
    I gave you real world been there answers.... read mine again.

Why do people come here looking for absolution or a sure thing answer.

Yes it can be done, it may be fine. I will say again there are few situations where it is worth jeopardizing your efforts (making images on the street).

I find that any economy in the darkroom (or with film photography) is a false economy in hindsight.

Do as you wish, just don't go fishing for the answer you want.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    O.K. I'm chickening out. I'll develop them separately.
    Good idea. If you over-develop the Pan-F roll, you will dearly regret it when you try to print the negatives (or scan them).
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin