Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,699   Posts: 1,482,576   Online: 864

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Remember you need an extra leader and more to fix the film end in the cassette. You will be lucky to get 2 15 exp rolls.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 02-04-2013 at 04:46 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm guessing that 12 exposure rolls are a thing of the past. Sounds like a good use for bulk loading your own. I've been sorely tempted to do that so that I'd have short rolls for testing lenses or bodies that need a quick check.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Art

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    Remember you need an extra leader and more to fix the film end in the cassette. You will be lucky to get 2 15 exp rolls.
    I know. It would help if I could create a "fake leader" of some sort. Maybe somehow stick a leader made of developed or expired film to get those 2 to 3 extra shots per roll. Thinking of it - why was it ever a good idea to sacrifice so much film just for the leader!?

Has anybody done something like that?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jernejk View Post
    I know. It would help if I could create a "fake leader" of some sort. Maybe somehow stick a leader made of developed or expired film to get those 2 to 3 extra shots per roll. Thinking of it - why was it ever a good idea to sacrifice so much film just for the leader!?

Has anybody done something like that?
    The length of the leader was determined by the design of the original Leica.

As to a fake leader remember you will have to do this in the dark. Not that easy to do.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

How to repackage 36 exposures film roll to smaller rolls?

I've read this whole thread and I don't get it, why are you putting all this energy into re-loading 36 frame rolls... Why don't you just buy a bulk roll of 35mm and roll new cans with only about 12 frames worth of film. Keep whatever 36 frame rolls for that one time you need extra film.

It's a big waste of your life to spend time breaking up pre packaged rolls...

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hey DR,
    That brings back memories of my fathers camera, an Exacta.
    You could, and I did put a film cartridge on the take up side, so the film would go from one cartridge into another.
    Cut the film and you have your exposed film safely in a light tight container.
    Funny how that VERY OLD camera still has functionality that would be useful.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    It's a big waste of your life to spend time breaking up pre packaged rolls...
    I believe it was not your intention, but I find the statement a bit rude.

It simply works for me. I like playing with the technical side of photography and currently I have a few different films in my fridge. It could take me quite some time to get 36 photos on each of them, so cutting gives me shorter turnaround time. Besides, it takes less than 5 minutes to do it, so your statement is really... nothing but rude.

Besides, the question was not "what do you think about repackaging" but "how would you do it" .

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    As to a fake leader remember you will have to do this in the dark. Not that easy to do.
    I don't think so. When I take the rolls out of my "repackager" and cut the film, I have maybe 5 mm of film sticking out of the canister. I could work with that under light. I just don't know what would be a suitable method which would not jam the camera or tear...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

How to repackage 36 exposures film roll to smaller rolls?

Quote Originally Posted by jernejk View Post
    I believe it was not your intention, but I find the statement a bit rude.

It simply works for me. I like playing with the technical side of photography and currently I have a few different films in my fridge. It could take me quite some time to get 36 photos on each of them, so cutting gives me shorter turnaround time. Besides, it takes less than 5 minutes to do it, so your statement is really... nothing but rude.

Besides, the question was not "what do you think about repackaging" but "how would you do it" .
    Sorry, yes it wasn't at all my intention to be rude at all.

If you enjoy this, then go for it, I guess it just seemed to me to be such an excess amount of energy, but if that works for you I can understand, and I do apologize I wasn't at all trying to be rude.

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    I've read this whole thread and I don't get it, why are you putting all this energy into re-loading 36 frame rolls... Why don't you just buy a bulk roll of 35mm and roll new cans with only about 12 frames worth of film.
    Not all films are available as bulk rolls.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin