Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,943   Posts: 1,557,691   Online: 1195

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

How to repackage 36 exposures film roll to smaller rolls?

I want to do some experimentation as well as shorten the time it takes me to complete a roll...

So I want to "repackage" 36 exposures to maybe (roughly) 3x10 or 2x17 exposures using reusable canisters...

What would be a safe and easy way of doing it?

Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You could just open the camera in darkroom and cut the exposed part off for processing. The remainder can then be loaded again as usual.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Or rewind film after exposure back into original cartridges. By this you won't need to fumble in the dark with the camera and, more important, are able to expose several test/experimenting rolls in sequence.

Mark the number of exposures on each roll.
    Back home calculate the lenght of the exposed film (number of exposures + leader + wind-on exposures, draw out that lenght and cut it off.

To stick to your original idea:

Buy yourself a decent bulk winder and fill your reloadable cartridges with exact the lenght (number of exposures) you need by means of the frame counter of that loader.
    You won't need bulk film to do this. Just cut off the leader of a original type135 cartrige, stick that end to some bulk core (or something selfwound out of cartboard) and wind the original film onto that.
    Last edited by AgX; 01-29-2013 at 07:14 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Or rewind film after exposure back into original cartridges. By this you won't need to fumble in the dark with the camera and, more important, are able to expose several test/experimenting rolls in sequence.

Mark the number of exposures on each roll.
    Back home calculate the lenght of the exposed film (number of exposures + leader + wind-on exposures, draw out that lenght and cut it off.
    This sounds better as I want to be able to change films mid roll. But how draw out just the right length in complete darkness??

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    You won't need bulk film to do this. Just cut off the leader of a original type135 cartrige, stick that end to some bulk core (or something selfwound out of cartboard) and wind the original film onto that.
    This seems the most safe and reliable. Just need to find a bulk core...

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Most probably your loader would work to if you just put in your short film (36exp.) losely rolled. And as said a core could be made just by winding and glueing a strip of cardboard onto itself to form a ring.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I did something like this in the past. Make a template so that in complete darkness, you can pull out exactly half of the film, leader included. Load the portion you pulled out into a bulk canister. Cut the leader into the film in original canister. Done. Have a black light safe bag handy so if you run into problems, you can stuff everything away and turn the light on.

Because of the wastage, you get something like two 14 to 15 frame rolls out of one 36 exposure roll. Doing this without scratching the film you take out is also an issue.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    The simplest solution (albeit you loose a few frames) is as follows:

1. Load a 36 exposure film in the camera

2. Shoot the frames that you want

3. Once you have shot what you want - say 10 shots, wind on one frame fire the shutter then wind on one more frame.

4. Set the shutter to 'B' and remove the lens.

5. Cut a small piece of cellotape

6. Fire the shutter and keep it depressed so that you can see the film

7. Stick the cellotape to the film and rub down well

8. Release shutter and rewind film to just before the leader goes in to the cassette

9. Load film in darkroom and use finger to locate cellotape

10 Cut film, place spiral in tank and then turn on light and write on cassette how many blank frames are left.

Best,

David
    www.dsallen.de

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by jernejk View Post
    But how draw out just the right length in complete darkness??
    Here's how I do it: clip the start of the film at the correct position on a folding yardstick. The correct position is: length of leader in your camera + number of exposures * 38mm + 3cm + safety. In the dark pull the film canister to the end of the yardstick and cut the film there.

This method has the advantage that your short film has always the length you need - at least whe you start with a fresh roll.
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I've came up with a DIY "film repackager".

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jernej_...in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jernej_...in/photostream

The first roll is waiting to be developed... So I don't know yet if it is completely safe (but should be).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin