Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,702   Posts: 1,482,661   Online: 656

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    HTF III: You're joking, aren't you?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dear All,

Batch 94D048 was manufactured in July 2012 : Number of complaints against this entire batch is 2 ( one of which is Australia, see above, one of which is GB ).

Previous to that the only QC's in the last 2 years recorded against ID11 were 2 complaints worldwide against Batch 76C manufactured in 2011.

As an FYI all our own routine QC testing ( not technical service or other areas ) uses ID11 and we mix on a daily basis so we are very aware of the products actual QC performance.

I have spoken to tech service, we do get some actual powder colour variation but its small, the usual colour once mixed as everyone knows is a light straw colour, all APUGGERS will know if it was dark brown that would be a warning sign.

Black specs would lead us to the assumption of ( 2 probable causes ) some type of contamination or a discoloured chemical constituent. Tech service state that at low levels it would be 'highly unlikely' to affect the quality of the product or its performance once mixed or the deposits to embed in the film, but they would recommend NOT to use it if the level of black specs were 'obvious'.

No on-site samples of Batch 94D048 exhibit any discolouration or black specs.

So, as always, the definitive QC statement applies as with all ILFORD Photo products, if you have a complaint or a concern contact our Technical Service +44 (0) 1565 65 00 00 : They will always ask for the batch number and we will usually ask for the return of the product for testing. You would receive a written outcome on a QC registered with us.

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It is in every packet of this batch number we've been through thus far. It wasn't obvious in the dry powder, just that it was darker than usual, but on inspection the mixed developer had black particles at different levels.

I found no base fog, contrast, density, grain or sharpness differences after the black stuff was filtered out vs 'normal' ID-11 and D-76.

Inspection was made on a loupe and light table, densitometer, and also flextight scans.

I have not tried processing with it unfiltered (nor do I plan to try to).
    Last edited by Athiril; 04-23-2013 at 09:14 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Of the three 5L packs that I opened that looked like this, I mixed one. It was definitely darker than the usual ginger-ale color, but moreover the huge quantity and different size of the black particles would have made it very difficult to filter out, so I also have no intention of running my film through this. I returned the three packs yesterday, as Ilford Switz. immediately agreed to exchange them.

I have a fourth pack with the same batch number which looks ok...the crystals in part A are white at least instead of wheat-bran looking, 'though it does have a few black specks.

As I noted before, the 1-liter packs I bought at the same time have no issues whatsoever.

To Simon at Ilford: if it helps in narrowing the origin of the problem, in addition to the 94D098 on the box, the number printed on the Part A sachet was 89A187.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Try Kodak D-76.

Buy some chems and a scale and small glass bottles. Make D76. Almost the same. Elon or metol will last forever if you keep air out, so you put the large pack in small bottles with a wide mouth. Then cut a plastic spoon down to remove what you need, then reseal.

A digi postage scale for $5 is all you need for all except sulfate. Any cheap scale is sufficient for that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Moravec View Post

A digi postage scale for $5 is all you need for all except sulfate.
    I'm sure you meant to type sulfite (sulphite).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The 100g/L Sodium Sulfite recipe is similar, not the same, the grain is finer, and less sharp than stock commercial D-76 from my experience.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I contend that you could put a teaspoon full of sand in your developing tank when you pour in the developer and it would make no difference. I also contend that Eastman Kodak Co quite possibly has historically the highest quality control of any company since the Industrial Revolution began. Ilford can't be far behind. I still say the developer would have worked fine. Hell, even Kodak D-76, Dektol, Fixer had black specks at the bottom of a mix. I never once had it show up anywhere in the finished work.Be glad these few companies even make this stuff any more. If you bang them over the head because it isn't perfect, they'll quit making it. Some things are just not worth the guff the customers give you.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have a box of 94D098 and yes, bag A is light-brownish in color. After mixing, the stock solution looks like piss. I wonder if this is usable.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin