Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,705   Posts: 1,482,830   Online: 1021

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Bad ID-11 Batch?

Batch num is 94D098

Part A is a fair bit darker than it normally is, brown with some black particulates by the look, and the resulting mix is a bit dark.

Have several boxes of the same batch, they all seem to be in the same condition unlike other batches.

Was wondering if this is contamination, or simply aged, etc?

Now I've got a box of decades old Elon and Hydroquinone in a similar appearance that are both decades old, and the bags werent sealed as they were partly used. This is much newer and sealed in a much better bag, and it's in every box with the same batch code, hence my concern.

Pic of Part A, normally it's white:
    Last edited by Athiril; 01-29-2013 at 10:09 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Actually doesn't look bad. I would suggest running a test roll through a batch of the ID-11 if for no other reason than to calm your doubts. When elon and hydroquinone are bad they look like coffee grounds. A light tan, gray or purple is nothing to worry about.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dear Athiril,

We have no QC's outstanding on this batch of ID11 ( or any other ) if you have a concern, far better return it to where you bought it and ask for a replacemnet and it will be returned to us via our distributor.

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology limited :

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Just had this happen to me today. Curious as to what happened with your bad batch... I'm hesitant to use mine for any film, it's a peach color. This is the first time ever I've mixed up ID-11 and it's not clear.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As an aside, and not to steal the thread--how long will a jar of Elon last?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HTF III View Post
    As an aside, and not to steal the thread--how long will a jar of Elon last?
    50+ years, I have some made in the early 1960 and it's still perfect.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm having exactly the same problem, same batch number 94D098, purchased two weeks ago and came directly from Ilford Switz. (Marly). (Simon from Ilford/Harmann take note!) In twelve+ years of using this developer, I've seen only one time a few black specks in part A, which I was able to filter out. But now I have 3 packs of 5L which all look like the above photo: brown/beige/black rather than the usual white crystals. I tried mixing one pack and there are thousands of blacks stringy specks of gunk floating around inside the 5l of distilled water! The black stuff did not dissolve. Opened the next pack and the crystals look the same beige w/black again. I would never run my film through this, and I'm sending all three packs back. Instead I mixed three 1-liter packs with no issues (different batch number on the box for the 1-liter packs).

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    94D098, same batch number as my bad two packages.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Somehow I'm not buying a word of this thread. It's Ilford, for pete's sake. I'm just having a hard time swallowing the the English are going to let a bad product escape them. Kodak never did. Ilford isn't Kodak, but it's close. I wonder if this thread is a plant. Look at all these complaints. I just can't swallow it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    There have been reports on FADU, a U.K. forum, of similer problems with at least one batch of ID11, so it is not a plant, it happened,glad I use either Rodinal or D76 as I have had problems with ID11 on the one and only time I used it, it just would not mix clear, there were black bits in it and I threw the mixed batch away without using it,

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin