Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,465   Posts: 1,570,675   Online: 869

DF

Film Wet/Sticky When Taken Out Of Cartridge

O.K. so I'm removing the lid in the darkroom with a can opener, then I thread it into the reel, and, MY G_D - the roll is moist and sticking to itsel!
    Yeh, I shot this on a rainey night, but there was no noticeable water droplets seeping into the camera - not to mention right into the cartridge. My other roll I shot in the same conditions was fine (yeh, it's the Delta100 I wanted to develop together...)
    I let the roll dry in the dark, stored it in a tank for safe-keep. Is the roll KIA? What could've happened?
    Last edited by DF; 01-29-2013 at 11:25 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Humidity from condensation.. Hot then cold or visa versa maybe?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You won't have to dry it just to get it wet again when you develop it. The hardest part would be spooling it and it sounds you have that accomplished. Develop it as regular. You will not know if it is damaged until you are through the process. Just to be safe, make sure you do another presoak to remove any contaminates from the film as you don't know what the liquid is. Good Luck.
    Last edited by dances_w_clouds; 01-30-2013 at 12:00 AM. Click to view previous post history.

DF

Why was the other roll fine? They were both stored the same after shooting.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do you own a cat: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum52/1...lens-help.html

Seriously, how was the film stored both prior and after shooting with it? Cold, frozen, warm? If stored cold, which roll was used first? Was one roll in a canister and the other not? Did one roll remain in the camera? Was one roll kept warm in a pocket and the other not?

Typically, going from cold to warm will draw moisture from the air. For example, when you take film from refrigerator or freezer, and then pop it out of it's canister in a warm, moist environment. IF this happened with the roll with the moisture, while the 2nd (dry) roll warmed up still sealed in a canister, that might explain the difference.

My primary concern would be the possibility that the film was moist or wet (inside the cartridge) prior to using and that some of that moisture transferred into the camera. The leading edge of the roll could have been dry, so you wouldn't notice it when loading. As a precaution, I would store the camera exposed, with the back open, in an area with good, dry airflow.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

DF

mgb74,
    You got me thinking - now I think I know what might have happened!
    After shooting, I left both cameras on the counter at room temperature for 14 or so hours BEFORE I rewound them. I know little bits/droplets of water did get on both cameras while shooting ( I'd quickly wipe them away).
    Perhaps during those 14 hours there was moisture allready inside the camera, and it made it's way into film, spool, or cartridge, though I didn't notice any such thing after opening up the camera after rewinding. The filmback isn't exactly water tight either.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin