Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,564   Posts: 1,573,448   Online: 809

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmacd123 View Post
    ...The Glass ones I got at the same time as the plastic one did corespond in measure, so they were well worth the extra cost.
    Don't know if this is the situation, but the plastic ones I get have both US and British ounces marked...you might have a mix-up of units!

I certainly like my glass graduates -- I use a lot of acetone and it eats the plastic graduates! I also have a couple Kodak glass beakers -- on the bottom they say "For Photographic Use Only Kodak" -- the words are cleverly arranged so that what one sees when quickly looking at it is "Only Use Kodak"!
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, i don't know what to say!

I broke 2 glasses, one is that measuring cylinder but honestly i didn't break it myself, it was a home-maid who cleaned my bathroom so she wasn't so careful and she broke one of the 3, other one is a 5L beaker, i was mixing i think 1 Gallon of D-76, good i managed to pour about 1L or 2L on 1L bottles but then by accident i broke the beaker when i tried to place it on a hard ceramic of my bath and it shattered immediately maybe because of the remaining liquid pressure.

I bought a 5L beaker for mixing so i will never worry about it, and as much i am careful with my glass measuring graduated cylinders so i will be fine, i may buy some plastic just in case.

Shooter
    35mm
    I use plastic containers for measuring, mixing, storage, film development and for prints too. I have never dropped any of them (in more than thirty years, but I have now jinxed myself...) but bits and pieces of gear do get carted around when travelling and glass could be a problem in those circumstances.

Someone mentioned a five-litre beaker - I am probably horribly cheap, but for mixing large amounts of Bromophen and so on I just use a bucket (which doesn't get used for anything else) and then measure what goes in to it, instead of what is in it.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    My favorite plastic is polymethylpentene, because stickier solutions like HC-110 syrup pour from it a little more easily than from glass or polyethylene or polypropylene or acrylic. It's also completely clear, but a little bit pricey compared to other options.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    For on top of the magnetic stirrer I use a stainless steel one gallon 'beaker'. I have some SS quart beakers, but they are not easy to measure stuff with -- it is nice to be able to see thru one's graduate. But they last!

We have some SS trays that we have been using continously for 40+ years (8am to midnight everyday except summer/xmas holidays)...student-tough!

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I currently use glass cylinders. My question to those who use plastic cylinders - do the cylinders have trouble staying standing up when they're in a tub of water to keep the temperature (or do you not do that)?
    cities & citizens - edmonton street photography (mostly), 100% film

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not a problem as long as the bath liquid level is below the level of the chemicals. Even glass containers will become buoyant at some point depending on the displacement difference.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Don't know if this is the situation, but the plastic ones I get have both US and British ounces marked...you might have a mix-up of units!!
    I got caught on that ones YEARS ago, Now I ONLY use metric, even for the Kodak stuff with the weird 1 to 31 mixing ratio.
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin