Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,677   Posts: 1,482,055   Online: 861

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Glass or Plastic?

Just getting back into film developing after a hiatus and am re-equipping to some degree. Any thoughts on whether glass or plastic graduated cylinders, for chemical mixing, are preferable? I used to use plastic, and remember them getting brittle and "fogging" up a bit, but perhaps today's plastics are better?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Plastic won't shatter if you drop it. Just keep them clean.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I try not to use glass in the darkroom, if you drop a glass container it will break and can easily cause injuries. Plastic or metal containers will not present such risks.

Shooter
    35mm
    I've used exactly one glass container in the darkroom, it was an older jar of chemistry. Nothing bad happened, but it sure made me nervous when I had to pour from it. We have dozens of ancient plastic graduates in the college darkroom where I teach, that were in use when I was a student there twenty years ago (and were already old then). They still work fine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Plastic.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use both, never had a problem dropping and breaking glass, however, I have more plastic probably because easier to buy.. Glass is easier to clean but that does not matter if you rinse plastic immediately.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I usually use plastic in case I drop them.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use both. I used what was available at the time (100 years ago, I think), one glass one for developer, and two plastic ones for stop and fix. And I always use the same graduates for the same component: reduces the importance of cleaning

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If not being dropped, i believe glass will last way longer. You shouldn't be in a hurry when printing anyway.
    Nicholai Nissen
    Kolding, Denmark
    nicholainissen@gmail.com

Shooter
    35mm
    And I recently boght a set of Plastic Graduaded cilinders from an e-bay seller and ened up throwing them out as they did not seem to give anywhere close to the same volume as my Old Glass Cyclinder that I harvested out of the Garbage at my High School in the 1960's - it was thrown out as the base was broken, but has enough left of the base that it stands well, and the break has not propogated after all these years

The Glass ones I got at the same time as the plastic one did corespond in measure, so they were well worth the extra cost.
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin