Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,703   Posts: 1,482,670   Online: 708

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

FP4+ at 64 Rodinal Times?

I just figured out that I had been over developing my film. I have been rating FP4+ at 64 but using the normal times for 125. No wonder my N+1 negatives have been so contrasty and off.

I am having trouble finding a reliable time. The massive development chart recommends 21 mins. which is more than the 125 time. This is not what I would expect.

So, does anyone have a good starting time for FP4+ at 64 in Rodinal 1:50.
    Bachelor of Fine Arts and Bachelor of Arts: Journalism - University of Arkansas 2014

Canon A-1, Canon AE-1, Canon Canonet GIII 17, Argus 21, Rolleicord Va, Mamiya RB67, Voigtländer Bessa

http://darkroom317.deviantart.com/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Grain isn't that big of an issue to me. I'm using 120 film so any grain is not that noticeable. I need the long shelf life that Rodinal has because my darkroom is 38 miles from my apartment. I can only work in there on the weekends and usually it is only once a month that I get to.
    Bachelor of Fine Arts and Bachelor of Arts: Journalism - University of Arkansas 2014

Canon A-1, Canon AE-1, Canon Canonet GIII 17, Argus 21, Rolleicord Va, Mamiya RB67, Voigtländer Bessa

http://darkroom317.deviantart.com/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Just cut it by 10-15%

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I develop it for 13 minutes at 68 degrees in Rodinal 1+50, but I get an EI of 100. This gives normal contrast.

Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    FP4 is fantastic in Rodinal!! My time is 12 min at 1:50 at 70 degrees but that's at EI 100. For EI 64 I'd start around 10-11 minutes. Your negs will be fine.
    Last edited by brian steinberger; 01-30-2013 at 10:40 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    IIRC, the standard (N) developing time for FP4+ in 1:50 Rodinal is 15 minutes @ 20 C. Pulling by a stop should be less 33%, i.e. 10 minutes, to start with. It may help to develop slightly longer, but start at 10 and test. What is your reason for rating at 64? You are effectively pulling the film and reducing contrast. If that is what you want, then no problem. I personally shoot it at 125 and develop as standard, and like the tone curve as is. One can develop it 1:100 stand, which is a compensating developer then, and it will give lower contrast in the highlights if that is what you want. Not that I do, but if I wanted a slower film with finer grain, I would rather use PanF.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You don't pick a speed rating and THEN decide to develop it at N or N+1 or whatever; that's backwards. You pick your N/N+1/etc based on the SBR and that determines the development time, which in turn defines the film speed that will be achieved and therefore your meter settings.

If you're developing at N+1, the rating of the film is likely to be higher than box speed, not half thereof even though you're using Rodinal.

You can of course decide to develop at N+1 if you don't have enough light and need the speed... but you do need to be aware of the high contrast.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkroom317 View Post
    I just figured out that I had been over developing my film. I have been rating FP4+ at 64 but using the normal times for 125. No wonder my N+1 negatives have been so contrasty and off.

I am having trouble finding a reliable time. The massive development chart recommends 21 mins. which is more than the 125 time. This is not what I would expect.

So, does anyone have a good starting time for FP4+ at 64 in Rodinal 1:50.
    A few thoughts.

First is the conventional use of plus development. N+1 (extra) development is conventionally used with reduced exposure, say EI 200 on your FP4. N-1 (reduced) development is conventionally used with added exposure, like your EI 64.

Are you really are using plus development (more than normal development time) with EI 64 exposure?

Second is FP4's normal latitude. Shooting FP4 at EI 64 and developing normally is easily inside the limits for getting a great print. All that normally does is make more shadow detail available on the film. Using normal development here should not be a big problem. With FP4 I've used XTol, D-76, DD-X, and WD2D+ and using normal development times for all of those developers I can get nice negatives shooting at EI 32, 64, and 125. With DD-X I can even shoot FP4 nicely at 250.

Given that, how was over development judged? By that I mean did it take grade 00 paper to get the middle tones to look right or ... ?
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    I've just been experimenting with Rodinal/FP4 combination and settled on 125ASA, 1:50, 16.5mins @ 20 degs C. Very nice negs with excellent tonal gradation and no grain issues at 10" x 8".

best wishes,

Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Your problem lies in trusting the massive development chart. It is full of developing times that suit other people's working processes.

So, is your shadow detail good? Yes? If so, continue shooting at 64 if you like the results.

Too much contrast? You must reduce developing time. Others here (folks whose opinion I'd trust) have posted 12-15 minutes at 68-70 degrees F. Somewhere in that range is a good starting point. After you reach a good baseline, adjust as necessary.

Keep in mind that the light you're shooting in determines everything. If you're shooting in high contrast lighting, shooting at 64 is probably appropriate. If the contrast is low, however, shooting at 64 will give you a muddy mess of mid-tones only, and extremely dense highlights. That's when you want to shoot at a higher EI. Obviously, when you do, developing time must change with it.

Have fun, and remember that it's up to you to figure out how you can alter the results to where you like them.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin