Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,685   Posts: 1,548,590   Online: 1236

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LikeAPolaroid View Post
    Noone is forcing you to vote. All is requested is to vote respecting the rules. I don't see this as being stupid or narrow minded. Maybe you're just not used to it.
    I don't thinkit is stupid - i have already voted - but it is a bit of a cumbersome way to run a petition. You have to join the group before you can 'add a comment'. If you aren't a member of Flickr you would need to join first, then confirm your email address - then workout how to use it.

Seems in some cases it might be a bit too much effort.

Can you not set up a simple 'poll' on a forum?
    Maybe even this one?

I'm sure a simpler method would get a lot more votes.
    Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I too agree with steven_e007. Except I could not be bothered signing up to flickr. A poll here would be ideal.
    Cheers - Andy C
    ---------------------

16mm Cine, 35mm, 120, 5x4 & 7x5.

Shooter
    35mm
    I am a big fan of how the negatives look and wouldn't mind a greater variety of Foma to choose from!

Not to distract from the OP's cause, but if Foma were to look at 220 format I'd also be very, very grateful! I asked briefly on Ilford's Facebook page and their response was that they no longer have the finishing equipment for 220, which is a huge pity given how many 220 film backs are still around in good condition.

(And yes, I also just acquired a Kiev 6C as my first foray in MF so I am an interested party.
    Last edited by simin.tan; 02-24-2013 at 09:56 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Explanation of interest

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think there is just so many B&W dollars around and the market place is already choosing what is viable and what is not. Voting vs buying, however, only buying counts. The buying is the best way of voting. Since cost are generally spread out over a long period of time, initial enthusiasm will not make a market for a manufacture.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    127 Format
    ADOX is planning a new asa 25 film. Is that good enough or can it only be Foma?
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Athiril View Post
    Adox CMS 20 is difficult to use at ISO 20 even it's dedicated developer.
    I have some CMS 20 and am waiting for the developer. Could you expand on the problems you had with this film?

Shooter
    35mm
    What Brac said covers my position also which is I can't think of any situations in the U.K. where a 25 would be of any real use to me.

I don't want to pour cold water on the likelihood of success but if I recall correctly, Ilford was asked and ruled out making a 25 speed film, presumably on the lack of a business case for it

Maybe Foma is small enough to make it a success but I'd be doubtful

pentaxuser.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudeofus View Post
    Not trying to dissuade you from your efforts but the most common arguments will likely be: Adox already has this CMS20 film in their portfolio, Ilford has PanF+ (even in larger formats if you need image detail), and if you can live with T-grain type film, T-MAX 100 is very fine grained, too.
    Have you used Efke 25 and Adox CMS 20? Other than their ISOs being similar they have nothing else in common. And really Adox CMS 20 is more like an ISO 12 film. Efke can easily be developed in Rodinal. Rodinal is dirt cheap and is easy to store. It literally lasts for years. Adox CMS 20? You have to develop it in Adotech II. $25.66 to develop six rolls and currently out of stock until mid March. Oh, and did I mention once you open the bottle you have to use it all in one go or do some PIA water addition thing to make it last?

Adox CMS 20 is a document film. Adox says as much. I buy it because I want it to still be around but it is in no way a cheap or convenient substitute for Efke 25.

Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    What Brac said covers my position also which is I can't think of any situations in the U.K. where a 25 would be of any real use to me.
    Well shooting wide open in bright light is one use for slow speed film but some people buy it because they like the look of the emulsion and the fine grain. I have used Rollei 25 on a tripod inside a building with nothing more than light from an overcast sky coming through some windows. I suspect a lot of Efke 25 shooters are using tripods so sun or overcast really doesn't matter unless you get into serious reciprocity failure territory.

Having said that I don't know how big the market is. Even if the market was twice its current size I suspect Efke would still have been discontinued. For them to make the capital investment the market probably needed to be a lot bigger.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post

I don't want to pour cold water on the likelihood of success but if I recall correctly, Ilford was asked and ruled out making a 25 speed film, presumably on the lack of a business case for it

Maybe Foma is small enough to make it a success but I'd be doubtful

pentaxuser.
    Besides, no one is really interested in paying too much since there are already less expensive films out there. Everyone knows that Foma films are inexpensive so a new one will certainly be inexpensive as well. Especially if you resurrect the old Efke 25 cause that one was very reasonably priced. And they should also be able to sell some of it through Freestyle under the store brand so it is even more inexpensive.

I am being a little tongue in cheek here, but based on what I read on these forums I honestly believe it is true. Everyone likes to perpetuate the story that Efke went out of business because their machines were old and broke down, or the building was old, or the owners could make more money on it. The real truth is a bit harsher. Efke actually went out of business because they could not make money. They were selling their films for less than their cost to make them and they could not keep up the maintenance on the machinery or the building. They knew they could not raise the price because then no one would buy it. So they kept on making it and selling it until eventually the machinery gave up the ghost, and the building was in such bad shape it was amazing they could make film at all. Everyone cried and made a big deal when they went out of business. They were such great films. But the only reason people were willing to buy and use those films is because they were so inexpensive.

Kodak has had to raise their prices and everyone is having heart failure on these forums, yet this price increase is only the beginning if there is any chance that Tri-x, or more importantly, Portra will survive.

Fuji has raised the price of their wonderful transparency films and everyone is crying that they can't afford to shoot it anymore. But if we don't continue to buy it they will just drop it.

Ilford is still in business because they are coating and selling films that have been around for a long time, and they will continue to coat and sell those films. But the prices will go up for these films as well.

So Foma, don't take all this too seriously. I would personally love to see Efke 25 make a comeback. I still shoot a lot of it but eventually my stockpile will run dry. But I also love and use your other films, and I want you to continue to be able to make those films at a profit as well. In short, I want you to stay in business. If you can make Efke 25 at a profit, go for it with my blessing and I will buy it. But since Adox and Ilford have both publicly said that they are not able to profitably make this film at this time I fail to see how you will be able to.

Maybe Holga can make it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    Everyone cried and made a big deal when they went out of business. They were such great films. But the only reason people were willing to buy and use those films is because they were so inexpensive.
    Is this sarcasm? Efke 25 was not inexpensive. At least not in the US. I used to get Acros for less than $3 a roll. I have no recollection of Efke being that cheap.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin