Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,836   Posts: 1,582,426   Online: 723

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

Thinking about moving to Replenished Xtol, some thoughts and questions.

So I've been reading about replenished Xtol and have a few thoughts that I didn't quite find answered in all the posts I read.

First here's how I'm thinking I'll set up my system:

Divide on 5l xtol into working solution and replenisher. After each roll of film I will add 90ml replenisher then top off with the tank after developing.

I understand that this developer works best after some "seasoning." So I plan to process ten rolls of film of non critical subject matter to get it to that state.

So there's what I understand, but here's where I have a few questions.

I like to have a 100 speed film and a high speed film in my arsenal. I have been using acros 100 and think that it would be great in this process. I have a bunch of important rolls of 100 across that need development but I exposed them at 100 iso, It is my understanding that I will lose some speed with this process. Would it be safe to assume that this would give me around 80 ISo with across? What's a good starting point developing time? (35mm ss tank). That may work for my negatives at 100 as I scan them and print in the darkroom so a slightly thinner negative works for me.

In general if I were to look at the massive developing chart what would be good starting times for the replenished xtol? the 1:2 times?

As far as high speed film I have been using tri-x pushed in Xtol 1-3 but am not in love with the results, but I love the arista price! I may keep another mix of xtol for using diluted. How does replenished xtol work with something like delta 3200, at around 1000 iso?

In general what are the advantages and disadvantages of replenished xtol? I understand there is some shadow detail loss. Is there more acutance? If I don't go this route I think I'll use pyrocat hd, but I don't if does much for 35mm.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I found it to be a great process but never was a fan of the results. That's just a personal opinion though. Thomas B will hopefully chime in and he is master of the process.

Your replenishing numbers sound correct. Might need more or less depending on your water and such.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You don't say how many rolls you process each month. A replenished system only makes sense if you process film regularly and at a respectable level. If you only process a few rolls per month then a single shot developer like HC-110 is preferable. In general there is little difference in the negatives produced by either system.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I know a lot of people use a replenisher system and it works for them, but it complicates the system with more variables. I personally feel that a dilution and discard method will provide greater consistency.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    That's one of the reason I had to switch from xtol replenish. I was not putting enought film through it to keep it going smoothly. When I started it was a few rolls a week. Then it was a few rolls a month and went back to hc110 b

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hallo,
    It may not be any help to you but I tried using replenished x-tol (with primarily FP4) and after I had done some initial testing for my personal exposure/dev times I found it to be a good developer. My caveat is that, at that time, a few weeks might go by between putting films through the dev & without a regular (each week) replenishment (even if no film is dev'd) the dev would slowly loose it's 'bite'. My conclusion with it was a great dev for high throughput but perhaps with erratic throughput, one shot devs give more consistent results, for me at least - other users may have different experiences!!
    Sim2.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear mexipike,

The Xtol data sheet has detailed instructions. Download it and you will be rewarded.

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    35mm
    While others have said to move to another developer if your volume of films doesn't justify replenished Xtol and they may have good reasons for this advice, there seems to be no reason why you shouldn't use Xtol as a "use and dump" developer.It is still quite cheap this way especially if you dilute on a 1+1 or 1+2.

I do and it is fine

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I did find the results of replenished xtol better then any dilution of "use and dump" method. Again giving that I was not a big fan of any of the results.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I agree, x-tol is very good as a "use & dump" dev especially diluted. X-tol is equally good as a replenished developer, providing the through-put can be maintained - that would be my primary concern with moving back to replenished & one that wasn't that clear when reading up about replenishment prior to trying it myself. A fine dev though & relatively inexpensive.
    Sim2.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin