Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,554   Posts: 1,573,148   Online: 825

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Success!

Shooter
    35mm

Success!

Hello friends,

I am very excited to share that my first attempt at processing B/W film at home was a success. Now... plans to build a real darkroom in the basement by May need to happen!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chemistry.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	92.0 KB 
ID:	63443 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Negative Proof.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	463.8 KB 
ID:	63444

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rwreich View Post
    I am very excited to share that my first attempt at processing B/W film at home was a success.
    Obviously! From what I can see, the outcome looks quite nice. I smile at the fact that you sprung for gloves—when I first learned to do B&W processing no such personal protective equipment was used. I still stick my fingers in the trays. A printing day isn't quite a printing day unless my right hand smells of fixer the next morning.

Quote Originally Posted by rwreich View Post
    Now... plans to build a real darkroom in the basement by May need to happen!
    I encourage it! Don't spend too long making plans, though—after a sufficient level of planning, action should be taken. I've found a great deal of joy from running prints.
    Henry C. Gernhardt, III

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks, Henry. The only thing keeping me from building this darkroom tomorrow is that I will need to build a wall and have electrical and plumbing set up. I just don't have that kind of time and money until closer to Summer. That's okay, though, because by then I'll have plenty of stuff to print!

Shooter
    35mm
    I should mention that I got gloves because I was nervous that my hand sweat would foul the film while putting it in the reel. I also managed not to smell like fixer, though, now I wonder if that makes it less than authentic;-)

Shooter
    35mm
    No worries! Thanks to you, too, Henry F.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Looks great. Plenty of us, myself include, work in make shift darkrooms. Anything is possible with enough ingenuity and occasional swearing. Have fun.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Congratulations, you're not very far behind me... I just recently started up again too. It is totally fun.
    I definitely could not wait to build a darkroom in my garage ( though I'm thinking about it. ) I'm managing in a small closet, and am simply thrilled to be making my own prints. Have fun! ( Posted as I came out after making 2 more prints, one that was the "that's better than I was even hoping for" variety is hanging to dry!! )

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Wow, congrats. I'm in the same boat as you, just having started last Sunday. But I won't be building a darkroom, I'll just be keeping on using the bathroom. Good luck with building the darkroom, though, that should be fun.
    cities & citizens - edmonton street photography (mostly), 100% film

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    nice work, it's good to create...
    I will need to build a wall and have electrical and plumbing set up
    There's no real need for all that, I have 200 micron builders paper and some free standing shelves as 'walls'. Running water is also over-rated. print a few, wash a few (garden hose on spray, I'm sure the neighbours think I'm nut's but who really cares?), print some more. I find that with the lights off all the low budget building materials simply disappear...

have fun.

MattPC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Looks like you are off to a good start!

Jeff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin