Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,695   Posts: 1,549,058   Online: 1020

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Poor Man's Rotary Processor

I've just been back in the darkroom for a few months after many years away.

I got an itch to try PF Pyrocat HD in glycol on medium format film and purchased a kit.

The recommended times are for rotary processing in a Jobo or similar system, of which I have none.

What I do have is a number of paper drums and a rotary base. The rotary base offers continuous rotation and reversing rotation. Just nosing around, I found that my plastic film tanks fit perfectly inside them.

Would it work using this somewhat rigged system for rotation, or does the Jobo provide rocking or other agitation besides rotary?

Also, PF doesn't list times for TMax 100. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Shooter
    35mm
    Interesting idea, Harbor freight sells a rotary drum for polishing rocks, I could put my tank in the drum. There could be a problem with it however, as I understand the Jobo system(s), I think they also provide heat to keep the temperature steady.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    On the flip side, rotary processing would allow me to use less chemical... So I too have been looking at using something like a Uniroller base/drum to process my B&W. My hand process has gotten rather sloppy lately and imngetting uneven development, lines, splotches, and ruined images.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dbuchheit View Post
    What I do have is a number of paper drums and a rotary base. The rotary base offers continuous rotation and reversing rotation. Just nosing around, I found that my plastic film tanks fit perfectly inside them.
    Many people use the paper drums to process sheet films. If you have Paterson tanks, just load them up and toss them on the rotary base. It works very well. For the tank that holds 2 120 reels, you may need to add a heavy block (like a brick) on one side to keep the tank from falling off. It's pretty obvious once you start doing it which side it needs to be on.
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    very interested. let us knowhow you decide in the end.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Something like this ?:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails develop.jpg  
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've never had any problems developing any films in Pcat-HD using conventional methods. I stopped using rotary when finances dictated I sell my Jobo. Pcat is relativly inexpensive and mixing 550ml for a single 120 film is cheap. MDC recommends Pcat-HD 1+1+100 for 16mins @ 20c for Tmax 100. Check this site out for more info
    http://www.pyrocat-hd.com/
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin