Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,878   Posts: 1,520,302   Online: 1148

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have no experience with the Ultrafine film, but do think it's important to point out that buying based on price can be a poor economic decision. Considering the amount of time it takes to shoot and process a roll of film, you're savings (assuming your time is worth something) is negligible. If you invest 2 hours into the whole process (an hour to shoot/an hour to set up, develop, and clean up), you're "paying" yourself $1.50/hour over a film that costs $3.00 more per roll. And, if you're not satisfied with the print results, you've wasted a lot of time to save very little.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks, all, for your input. So far, though, it looks like the cheapest is the Ultrafine.

Quote Originally Posted by newcan1 View Post
    The ultrafine film is cheap, but I have found it to be contrasty and grainy for its speed.
    For the type of shooting I'm doing, that's fine. In point of fact, I rather might enjoy it stylistically.

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    If you don't care about quality and just want the ability to shoot, get the EDU mentioned above.
    Most of the reason I do this is so that I can have some fun playing with some old cameras and souping the resulting films. It's just entirely too much fun. Every so often I come out with an image I truly enjoy. About the only image I've come up with where I didn't like the graininess was a skyline shot on Holga 400:

For future cloudscapes, I'd really like to play with Pan F plus.

Quote Originally Posted by rich815 View Post
    Expired film on eBay?
    Sadly, good deals on expired film on eBay are getting more rare than good deals on old folding cameras. It seems that the Lomography movement has upped the prices of all sorts of old/expired/nifty things. My Nettar cost me about $70 in today's dollars when I bought it. I could probably fetch twice that on an eBay sale. I can only imagine how much my Box Tengor would go for…

Again, thanks, folks! I'm trying to keep a lookout for deals (s/^d/st/g) on film and paper, and appreciate any and all leads. Especially if it lands me some Delta 3200.
    Henry C. Gernhardt, III

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I like the photo. The sky has a sort of Hubble telescope feel to it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I remembered I really liked Fomapan 100 in DD-X

Didn't realize Arista EDU 100 is the same thing? Dang, need to get some before the prices go up any more!

I was born free...in my forgotten dreams. by Dr. RawheaD, on Flickr

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    I like the photo. The sky has a sort of Hubble telescope feel to it.
    Thanks!
    Henry C. Gernhardt, III

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Just to save you some testing, The Holga film is just rebranded Foma, so Arista.EDU, Fomapan and Holga are all the same film. I have shot a bit of the 400 and find that the 100 and 200 are much less grainy. I have a decent stock of 400 for the various shots that I think I would like grainy, but the 100 is my go-to "cheap" film. I use Rodinal for my Foma based films BTW.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It is surprised to see that B&H listed HP5+ and Acros at low prices comparing to Freestyle, so for few cents i will go with HP5+ and Acros is my top favorite film even if it is expensive.

Wish if that TMAX 400 was cheaper, it is my most used film so far before Acros 100, good i have loads of it, but i can buy more in the future if i need.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Cheapest B&W 120 film available in USA?

Quote Originally Posted by TareqPhoto View Post
    It is surprised to see that B&H listed HP5+ and Acros at low prices comparing to Freestyle, so for few cents i will go with HP5+ and Acros is my top favorite film even if it is expensive.

Wish if that TMAX 400 was cheaper, it is my most used film so far before Acros 100, good i have loads of it, but i can buy more in the future if i need.
    With the price of all the other Kodak films I was shocked at how cheap tmax400 was, it's still expensive compared to what the OP is looking for but amazing its so cheap for the quality.

I'm amazed with t grain films and DD-X but now that I've had a taste of Rodinal it's hard to decide what to do, it's SO cheap! DD-X seems ridiculous now lol.

Also OP why shoot 120 if you're penny pinching? Why not shoot 35mm and get a $2 per 36 shot instead of $2 per 10 shot? I understand some grain bothers you but if cost is the ultimate leader, why bother with 120 at all?

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Also OP why shoot 120 if you're penny pinching? Why not shoot 35mm and get a $2 per 36 shot instead of $2 per 10 shot? I understand some grain bothers you but if cost is the ultimate leader, why bother with 120 at all?
    Like I said earlier, it's not so much the grain that bothers me. That one cloudscape is the only shot I've taken so far where I've been bothered by it. For the most part, the images I've printed haven't suffered (in my opinion) due to grain.

My reasons for using 120:
    • Bigger negatives are fun to play with
    • Most of my usable cameras take that format
    • Fewer exposures on a roll make me think more about the shot
    • It fits my definition of “nifty”

I can understand the conundrum, Stone. When I stop and look at it rationally, it doesn't make sense. I'm at a point where I'm not that terribly worried about it. There's simply something fun about the larger size that I can't get from 35mm, even if I am using a Contax IIIa. Maybe it's that it lets me feel like a kid again. You know, size relationships. 120 film would be about the same size in my adult hands as 35mm would have been when I was about six.

Ha! There it is! Satisfaction of the inner child! Given my current income stream, I can even see the childish satisfaction of “penny pinching” not for that sake, but for the sake of finding stuff I can play with given my limited “allowance”.
    Henry C. Gernhardt, III

Shooter
    Medium Format
    With the price of all the other Kodak films I was shocked at how cheap tmax400 was, it's still expensive compared to what the OP is looking for but amazing its so cheap for the quality.

I'm amazed with t grain films and DD-X but now that I've had a taste of Rodinal it's hard to decide what to do, it's SO cheap! DD-X seems ridiculous now lol.

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    I also believe that Tmax 400 tmy-2 is the absolute winner in the 400 speed department. As far as bought developers go? DD-X wins in that department also. Of course that is just my opinion. I don't use much 400 speed film or bought developer, but those two are an excellent pick. I also got a little more life from a bottle of DD-X by running it at 1:7. For right now I'm kind of doing what the OP is asking to do and that is going cheap. I'm doing the Arista EDU 100 route in home-brew soup. I'm going to try some Shanghai stuff too. JohnW

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin