Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,219   Posts: 1,532,289   Online: 909

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    But that's the old version? that isn't the current Rodinal/Adonal/R09 version, I know something changed, that might also mean the results will be different. Do you happen to know the current version's info? Thanks this was still good to have, just wondering about the current version.
    Well, how much different that old version to current one?

Try this old thread, in all cases, the current Rodinal is discontinued and no longer available rather than some last stocks or someone have plenty

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/2...elligence.html

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Cheapest B&W 120 film available in USA?

Quote Originally Posted by TareqPhoto View Post
    Well, how much different that old version to current one?

Try this old thread, in all cases, the current Rodinal is discontinued and no longer available rather than some last stocks or someone have plenty

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/2...elligence.html
    Unless I missed something Rodinal is NOT discontinued its just made by ADOX and called Adonal now, it's exactly the same as the last style of Rodinal before the company stopped production.

As a side note ADOX also sells the "old" version of Rodinal which is the one you listed.

Thanks for the Info it's nice to have.

But Adox still makes new batches of Adonal as far as I understand it.

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Unless I missed something Rodinal is NOT discontinued its just made by ADOX and called Adonal now, it's exactly the same as the last style of Rodinal before the company stopped production.

As a side note ADOX also sells the "old" version of Rodinal which is the one you listed.

Thanks for the Info it's nice to have.

But Adox still makes new batches of Adonal as far as I understand it.

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    Then why they changed the name to Adonal? I thought that Adonal is a bit different formula but same characteristics as Rodinal, same like Kodak D-76 and Ilford ID-11, but i could be wrong, i will use that old version Rodinal if i make it and see how will be the results, i can't buy Adonal anyway as it doesn't ship to my country.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Cheapest B&W 120 film available in USA?

I use Compard R09 One Shot, which is definitely the same as Rodinal/Adonal.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TareqPhoto View Post
    Then why they changed the name to Adonal? I thought that Adonal is a bit different formula but same characteristics as Rodinal, same like Kodak D-76 and Ilford ID-11, but i could be wrong, i will use that old version Rodinal if i make it and see how will be the results, i can't buy Adonal anyway as it doesn't ship to my country.
    The legal right to the trade-name "Rodinal" is owned by a business that no longer trades. The two formulas (old and new) are either in the public domain, or owned by businesses that don't have the right to use the name.

The business that manufacturers the chemistry that is the same as the new form of Rodinal doesn't sell it directly to end users. Instead, it sells it in bulk to businesses that bottle it in smaller, usable quantities and then sell it to retailers who sell it to photographers.

As a result, what was once the new Rodinal is sold under different names in different parts of the world. In Canada the company that buys from the manufacturer, re-packages and then distributes the result is called "Blazes Photography", and their product is labelled "Blazinal". The company is so small it doesn't even maintain a website.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    The legal right to the trade-name "Rodinal" is owned by a business that no longer trades. The two formulas (old and new) are either in the public domain, or owned by businesses that don't have the right to use the name.

The business that manufacturers the chemistry that is the same as the new form of Rodinal doesn't sell it directly to end users. Instead, it sells it in bulk to businesses that bottle it in smaller, usable quantities and then sell it to retailers who sell it to photographers.

As a result, what was once the new Rodinal is sold under different names in different parts of the world. In Canada the company that buys from the manufacturer, re-packages and then distributes the result is called "Blazes Photography", and their product is labelled "Blazinal". The company is so small it doesn't even maintain a website.
    What he said... still, I thought Adox was the actual current manufacturer? Could have sworn they bought the actual chemical process patent. Either way it's alive and well ... for now... I just want the NEW formula "just in case" lol

Shooter
    35mm
    Couple of points.

(1)The AGFA Rodinal plant is now a contract Manufacurer, who produces the product for several distributors including ADOX. No one has clear rights to the rodinal name so they are all different. At the same time the ORWO version was made by another plant that is now independet, and they sell to some of the same distributors. It is tricky to know which version is which, but some previous threads have indicated that there is not too much procical difference between them. I am not sure of the Foma Versons are from the same factories or if FOMA makes their own. Since it can't be shipped mail order, the only one I have been able to get latly is Blazenol.

(2) the Chinesse film situation is murky, but Shanghai GP-3 seems to be still sold with resonable dates from a couple of Sellers in China, Hong Kong, Thiland, and perhaps other locations. The product and it's package have a kinda "Home made" feel to them, but they are capable of good results. It is the ONLY film that I have found that will feed reliably in my Shanghai 4 TLR. the backing paper of other films will slip on the film metering wheel. Rumor has it that the Lucky SHD 100 in 120 is now gone. The ERA film is suposidly also out of production.
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Could have sworn they [Adox] bought the actual chemical process patent.
    Rodinal had been patented 1891.

How long do you think a patent holds on???

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Rodinal had been patented 1891.

How long do you think a patent holds on???
    The NEW version?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmacd123 View Post
    Couple of points.

(1)The AGFA Rodinal plant is now a contract Manufacurer, who produces the product for several distributors including ADOX. No one has clear rights to the rodinal name so they are all different. At the same time the ORWO version was made by another plant that is now independet, and they sell to some of the same distributors. It is tricky to know which version is which, but some previous threads have indicated that there is not too much procical difference between them. I am not sure of the Foma Versons are from the same factories or if FOMA makes their own. Since it can't be shipped mail order, the only one I have been able to get latly is Blazenol.

(2) the Chinesse film situation is murky, but Shanghai GP-3 seems to be still sold with resonable dates from a couple of Sellers in China, Hong Kong, Thiland, and perhaps other locations. The product and it's package have a kinda "Home made" feel to them, but they are capable of good results. It is the ONLY film that I have found that will feed reliably in my Shanghai 4 TLR. the backing paper of other films will slip on the film metering wheel. Rumor has it that the Lucky SHD 100 in 120 is now gone. The ERA film is suposidly also out of production.
    Freestyle will ship by mail, just has to be ground mail. Unless Canada has different rules than the US.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin