Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,573   Posts: 1,545,681   Online: 813

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Cheapest B&W 120 film available in USA?

Folks—

So far, the least expensive 120 B&W roll film I've been able to find is Ultrafine Plus B&W 100, from Photo Warehouse (USD 2.10/roll when purchased in multiples of 5 rolls as of this posting). I was wondering if anyone knew of a reliable source of anything less expensive? I'm looking for cheap film with which to play. For more serious/specialty shoots I have a short list of go-to films.

Thanks!
    Henry C. Gernhardt, III

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Expired film on eBay?
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    look at the Arista films. Premium which is tri-x and the EDU which I believe is Foma. Now it is about $.70 more per roll, but c'mon. For 2 cents more per frame you can get a better film ( in my mind), and my pix are worth an extra 2 cents to me.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I second rich815. I average around $1/roll for expired B&W film I get expired. Unless it's poorly stored film from the 70s, it's gonna develop fine. Craig's List also a good resource for cheap expired film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ebay and craigslist is just not consistent though with film deals, and as of recently there doesnt seem much of a deal to be had. I see lots of expired film sell for the cost of new and fresh film which is crazy. Your best bets are to try the ultrafine films and see how you like it, it looks to be the cheapest fresh source. Arista EDU films are about a dollar more at $3.19 a roll. This is actually higher than the price of fuji acros not too long ago which makes me kinda sad. Acros now is like $3.80 a roll now or so. Another option are the Shanghai films from ebay, they are about the same price of the Arista EDU films, but many have shipping for free while freestyle has a minimum order.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have bought off eBay several times, but usually just certain slower films like PanF or something I can't get in my neck of the woods. If I find a real deal on eBay I might try to get it, but then that dang rich815 is always running the bid up. I too, would rather buy from Freestyle and know I'm getting a decent film at a reasonable price. I used to brag up Fuji Acros and really loved the film for the price. Of course Fuji figured that out too and jacked the price up. Maybe that was their plan all along? Sell it for near cost, get folks to fall in love with it and then jack the price up to just below the competition. Right now I'm testing Arista EDU 100 and if it works out I might just be using much more of it. Also, I've heard really good things about the Arista EDU(Foma) 200 film and might look into that also. As for Graig's list? Nothing much at all in my area and the same goes for expired film at camera stores 'cause there is only one of those left. JohnW

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The ultrafine film is cheap, but I have found it to be contrasty and grainy for its speed. May be good to play with but if I were trying to make a fine art image, I guess I wouldn't use it for that. But just to play with, it should be fine. What about that Shanghai stuff available on ebay?

Shooter
    35mm
    B&H has Fomapan 400 in 120 for $3.89/roll. You can also get Fuji Acros 100 from them for the same price if you buy it in a 5-pack.

If you were looking for 35mm, you could get Kentmere 100 in a 24 or 36 exposure roll for $2.95 from them. Kentmere films are made by Ilford.
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

I may just not have found the right developer but I find Acros not that impressive, besides the 2 minute reciprocity failure rate, I'm not that impressed, it just seems fuzzy to me, "fine" maybe but such that all the edge just look blurred and not sharp. I'm thinking I just have the wrong developer (have tried Ilfsol 3 and DD-X which the latter should have worked but apparently not). I just pushed PanF to EI 100 in Rodinal and got much better results (price aside).

Maybe I'll try the edu stuff next for the price.

Just buy a bunch and try them all, you'll drive yourself nuts trying to figure it out, If you don't care about quality and just want the ability to shoot, get the EDU mentioned above.

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    35mm
    Freestyle no longer requires a minimum order.

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin