Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,295   Posts: 1,535,648   Online: 1129

Shooter
    35mm

Caffenol is magic.

I devved my first roll of black and white at home a few days ago. I used a tank I purchased arbitrarily from a member here, with uncertain temperatures and measurements in my Caffenol C-M recipe. I fixed with Ilford Rapid Fix. Film is Tri-X. Having never developed film before, I was overjoyed when I actually saw images on my negatives. I made prints in the lab I have access to for my PHT101 class, and tried to match the scans to the prints. I think they turned out pretty well:

Next time, I intend to more carefully work with temperature and time.
    Last edited by powasky; 02-02-2013 at 10:10 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Incorrect Caffenol recipe.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Great job.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks to both of you.

Mr. Finley - I was blown away with how easy Caffenol was. Also, I mistyped in my original post - I used Caffenol C-M, not C-L. I'm not interested in stand dev, and I'm not sure that the KBr could really add anything to what I achieved. I imagine that temperature management would do a lot more for me.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by henry finley View Post
    I'm a Microdol-X man more than any other, and one of those who does things by Kodak procedure. For 40 years. Now, plain coffee and a vitamin C pill or 2.That's a kick.
    Never hurts to give it a try. I think you'd be as happily surprised as I was. Just don't forget the washing soda .

Shooter
    35mm
    I never had heard of washing soda. Never saw any. I suppose it's counterpart in a conventional developer would be sodium sulfite, carbonate, borax, or other alkali
    It's sodium carbonate. You can make it yourself using sodium bicarbonate and an oven, or you can buy it from a store. I purchased mine from Walmart.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I never had heard of washing soda. Never saw any. I suppose it's counterpart in a conventional developer would be sodium sulfite, carbonate, borax, or other alkali
    i henry

washing soda is a water softener from what i have been told .. its just bicarbonate of soda ( baking soda ) with less moisture in the powder
    that is why you can heat it in the oven and force out the moisture ...
    i've been using caffenol in one form or another for about 7 years for all my work. its fun and works great !
    ( i roast my own sumatran beans special for my darkroom work )

YMMV
    john
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin