Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,883   Posts: 1,520,516   Online: 813

Shooter
    35mm

Place to development and get prints

One of the dilemma's i am having shooting film is that I am shooting roll and roll, for weeks on end, and not seeing any results. I am new enough to film (6 months) that I haven't learned how to develop or any darkroom practices, nor is their a darkroom anywhere near me at the moment. That said, I record every shot i take meticulously, and generally know how i want each roll developed. For the first 5 rolls of film I shot, I took them to central camera in chicago (i no longer live in chicago), and by the end of the process, it cost me $85 to get everything developed and printed. I cannot afford to do that every week, nor do i want everything printed.

So 1) I need recommendations on where i can get send the film to be developed and 2) should i get contact prints?

Again I'm quite new to the game, but contact prints on a 35mm are gonna be quite challenging to see correct? I have considered getting a scanner for the time being and using Lightroom, at least i can see what is going on.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    thedarkroom.com charges 10$ for developing and scanning your images. worth checking out, i guess.
    Nicholai Nissen
    Kolding, Denmark
    nicholainissen@gmail.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I believe Central Camera sends all their B&W and E6 stuff to Dwayne's Photo, which has a good reputation and is fairly reasonable.

A cheap scanner will cost about $200, but the image quality is not great.

Bottom line, having someone else process and scan your film is not cheap.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The solution to your problem is to setup a make shift darkroom. Just to develop film does not require a lot of "stuff" or space.

I used to load my development tank in my closet. I just turned off all of the lights and did this at night, so no dark curtains or anything was necessary. Then go to bathroom for the actual process. It only takes developer, stop, fix, HCA, and water. Not much to it....

Making contact print only requires a sheet of glass and a 15 watt (or so) bare bulb - again in my bathroom....

YES, 35mm contact sheet is challenging especially if you are over 40 (like me).

I *think* by the time you are on 20th roll of film, doing it yourself will start to actually save you money....

It's not hard. You just need to get started.... More than likely, APUGers will have enough spare to sell to you CHEAP so you can do just that.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I disagree with Hatchetman that home scanning quality is not good enough. Look in the gallery and a majority of what you look at are home-scanned negatives. This isn't the place to discuss it (that would be over at dpug.org), but there are a lot of people here, myself included, who go this route. I do it this way because I can, but I hate it because I have been a software developer, chained to a computer for 8 hours a day, for the last 30 years.

I just printed this one at 13x19 (from expired fuji 800 left in Laostyle17's uncle's camera in 2004) and it is gorgeous: http://www.apug.org/gallery1/showima...mageuser=57747 Sorry, you can't see it without a subscription.

Are you shooting color or B&W? If B&W, you can process the film yourself for about a total of a dollar a roll. The equipment costs about what you paid for that one batch of processing. It's easy as pie, too. The only darkness you need can be found inside a black bag that looks like a sweatshirt with a zipped bottom and no neck opening. You use this for loading the film into the processing canister. All the rest you can do with lights on in the bathroom, kitchen, or laundry. Color is not much more expensive than that, maybe $2.00. But it is a bit more complicated and takes much more precision in keeping the chemicals at certain temperatures during processing.

Once you have your negatives, you just scan and have at it.
    A politician is a man who will double cross that bridge when he comes to it.

Oscar Levant

Shooter
    Multi Format

RE: Place to development and get prints

+1 on both darkroom.com and developing yourself. I now develop and scan at home with a dedicated film scanner. Developing is super easy. There are several good videos on YouTube that show the whole process. I started with Eco-PRO (XTOL) but have used Rodinal (some clone actually, got it from Freestyle.) Rodinal is a little easier to work with because you only mix what you need. I like the look of ECO-PRO better, but that is part of the fun of developing yourself. I too was concerned about the economics, but after developing my first roll I didn't care! The fact that I could shoot a roll and see the results in the same day made me not care about the initial equipment purchase.

I am currently suffering from DAS (developer acquisition syndrome). I now have DD-X and Pyrocat HD and am considering mixing some Obsidian Aqua. I now have far more developer than I have actual time to shoot and develop! Day job you know.

Good luck!
    -Rob
    Sent from my PI86100 using Board Express
    My flickr stream

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Start with a changing bag, a tank, reels, XTOL, stop bath, fixer, PhotoFlo and a nylon line with clothes pins to hang in the shower.

After a few rolls, we will send you off to find a darkroom to print or start you on your way to making a temporary darkroom.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    My back and knees aren't what they used to be,
    I have been planning to roll out B+W film processing/proofing/exhibition print services.

Is your stuff B+W? Tell me about what film you are using and the subject/lighting and I might be willing to give you a decent deal on processing and proof sheets. You got to have proofs, I regret it every time I rush and no make a proof sheet of my own work for the files.

(I don't think any photographer worth their salt knows how good their exposures are unless they are proofed on a properly exposed 8x10" contact print.) Epson scans of negatives are silly.... yep I am an Imacon snoob... but having a FLAT negative is paramount.)...

The service I offer here is all APUG friendly no CCD imager involved.

If I could batch process (jobo tube) 4 or 6 rolls at a time I might be willing to do it for $6.50 / a roll in this case to get this little pipe dream of mine off the ground.+postage
    PM me if interested.
    Last edited by vpwphoto; 02-04-2013 at 07:42 PM. Click to view previous post history.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin