Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,975   Posts: 1,523,636   Online: 1105

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Earl Grey Blues

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Earl Grey Blues

I made the mistake of picking up some (over-priced) Lomography Earl Grey 120 film at that hipster store in a Detroit mall. I can't remember when the last time was that I found 120 film at a mall, so I opened my wallet with the thought that I was bleeding a little for the overall film community.

It's Lomo film, so I loaded it into my Holga and used up my three rolls. Now, I happen to have one of those Holgas that do not leak light. In addition, I have added a heavy black flap to cover the film counter hole - I only lift it when I am advancing my film. There should be no possibility of light contamination, but I processed the first two rolls yesterday and I can clearly see every printed marking on the backing paper exposed on the film. I am assuming this happened in the camera and not in their production line, but I have no frame of reference for how else it could happen. This never happens with Ilford or Kodak films, so I had recently begun to think of my extra protection over the film counter to be over-kill for a non-existent problem. What bugs me is that this is a film that is specifically marketed for the Holga crowd, and if it is indeed a failure of the backing paper, then it is very poor business indeed.

I have no question, and there really isn't much that bears discussion here, (unless anyone else wants to chime in) but I just wanted to vent about my wasted time, money and effort.

Cheers,
    Tom
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have had similar issues with Arista EDU 400. Sometimes I get burnt in numbers, or strange artifacts. It's so cheap, though, it's the best for general film burning or testing cameras.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have used Ilford, Kodak, and Fuji film in Holga's without covering the red window and have never had an issue.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The backing paper is not opaque enough. Bummer... I'd say something to Lomo about it. I don't think that "flaw" is acceptable.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FredW View Post
    I have used Ilford, Kodak, and Fuji film in Holga's without covering the red window and have never had an issue.
    I've had it when pushing Shanghai GP3 past 800, so wondering what OP's developing time is?

Shooter
    35mm
    If you've had the same problem with Arista EDU as you do with the Earl Grey, maybe the films are the same manufacturer. I've heard the Arista EDU is Foma film.

All this talk of Earl Grey is making me thirsty. I like my Earl Grey in a cup, hot, with sugar, not in a camera
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Athiril View Post
    I've had it when pushing Shanghai GP3 past 800, so wondering what OP's developing time is?
    I exposed the film at box speed (100) and processed it in HC-110 for 6:30 as per the Massive Dev Chart App. I won't be buying this again, so I'm not all that upset over the issue. I do feel a little ripped off, though because I bought this over-priced crap just to support the idea of analog products in an increasingly digital age.

Live and learn.

Cheers,
    Tom
    Last edited by Toffle; 02-04-2013 at 10:12 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I have had it happen with out-dated Tech Pan in a Diana camera. Only time it has happened.

Too bad Alex was not actually 16 at the time...it would have been perfect!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AlexOregonCoast.jpg  
    Last edited by Vaughn; 02-04-2013 at 10:24 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's not light coming through the backing paper but the ink on the backing paper affecting the emulsion of the wrap of film above.

This has recently been discussed: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/1...exposures.html

Kodak needs your support and they make the world's best film, bar none - why not buy their film?

Lomography only sells crap film because they buy it for nothing and can sell it at outrageous prices to fools who don't know better. Pretty soon the numbers on the negative will be 'hipster cool'.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lindan View Post
    It's not light coming through the backing paper but the ink on the backing paper affecting the emulsion of the wrap of film above.

This has recently been discussed: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/1...exposures.html

Kodak needs your support and they make the world's best film, bar none - why not buy their film?

Lomography only sells crap film because they buy it for nothing and can sell it at outrageous prices to fools who don't know better. Pretty soon the numbers on the negative will be 'hipster cool'.
    This makes sense now that I think of it. The markings are over the entire film and not just where the viewing port is.

As for supporting Kodak, Nicholas, I have been doing the picture-a-day challenge since January 1, 2010... the majority on Kodak films. Forgive a guy for making an impulse buy to experiment with a new film. Preach to someone else, please.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin