Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,959   Posts: 1,558,192   Online: 1168

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

A Good Solid Pro color Neg film?

Hey guys,

What's a good solid pro color neg film?

Todd

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Solid as in good? Portra 400/160 and fuji pro 400h

Porta 400 has incredible latitude. Dont underexposed 400h.

I like the colors of 400h but the usibity of portra 400 wins for me.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Portra and Ektar seem to be the two compared to each other more often then not and Fuji seems to have it's adherents. Overall I'd probably match my film choice to the subject matter, but in today's age of do everything Photoshop (if you go that way) you can basically shoot anything. If your wet processing I'm sure someone will give you their impressions.
    Last edited by waynecrider; 02-05-2013 at 11:38 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yes.. Good.

Todd

Shooter
    35mm
    Fuji Pro 160

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Since there's only about three, this isn't much of a pickle.

Portra 400 will be revered like Kodachrome in the future. The last great colour film?

Ektar is like Marmite, but I really like it.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    plus 1
    Quote Originally Posted by damonff View Post
    Fuji Pro 160

Shooter
    Medium Format
    As you're shooting medium format, unless you want really big enlargements, I'd go with a faster film like Fujifilm 400H or Kodak Portra 400. The slower films are great, but unless you need the resolution, they can be a pain unless you've got a lot of light.

400H is a lovely film, Portra 400 gets more press on the various blogs, but I think 400H is lovely, muted, and in 6x6, more resolution than just about anyone needs.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    You've got three superb choices from Kodak at the moment, but they each have their own look. Don't
    count on Fauxtoshop to fix mistakes or turn one film into another. That's the lazy way out, but is in fact
    the hard way. Pick a film and learn to use it properly. You've got a low-contrast skintone-friendly choice
    (Portra 160), a more saturated and contrasty choice requiring more careful exposure and light balancing (Ektar), and something in the middle (Porta 400). Then there is still a little Fuji around if you want to
    experiment with that. Hard to go wrong quality-wise, but applicability to specific subject matter is another question completely.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Portra 400, hands down.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin