Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,838   Posts: 1,582,466   Online: 738

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Developing a found roll of Pan-X

Hello All,

I found an old roll of Panatomic X in a box of junk that I got.

I heard HC-110 is good for reducing the fogging on old film, which is good because I have plenty.

Any ideas for developing times? How much do you think I should give, in addition to the "correct" time to account for age?
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I developed an old roll of Pan-X (maybe 1982 vintage) about a week ago using Photographers Formulary Divided D76. Mine came out absolutely beautful.
    The Divided D76 really isn't very time sensitive. I believe I used 3 minutes in Part A and 4:30 in Part B.

I've developed other old film (Plus-X and Tri-X) in HC110 and used the recommend time to push 1 stop with pretty good results.

From what I've seen with my old film is the slower stuff ages better than fast film and doesn't need as much compensation.

I have the original instruction sheet in the darkroom. If you would like, I can give you the box speed times for HC110..

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Fog is not likely to be a problem with Panatomic-X. My vintage stock has no fog problems. It may be grainier than it was new. (No way to compare.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    HC110 dil B @68 or 70f for 7 min.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I guess I should mention that it is exposed, and I merely want to see what is on it.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by EASmithV View Post
    I guess I should mention that it is exposed, and I merely want to see what is on it.
    That was how I took it.

I occasionally have folks bring me film like that. From now on they pay first... I have negatives of who knows what that someone never came back for. They were about 20% base fog, so very very flat. This film was likely from the 1930's.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin