Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,812   Posts: 1,581,556   Online: 971

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Zone V detail on Wedge

I was trying to make my own gray-scale Wedge with 11 steps and decided to add a section where detail was present inside a zone.
    for zone V i took the value of 127 -+ 12 and ended up creating a brick/mortar pattern. I haven't tested this on film yet, but it seems that detail for darker zones seems clearer.
    Is there a better way to do this pattern? maybe darker zones should have less variance from the middle value....

Thanks for any advice!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wedge.png  
    "The Medium is the Message"

Shooter
    Large Format
    Great idea
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Any advice on printing?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    This looks reflective. Are you planning on shooting it? A wedge is usually slange for a step tablet which is contacted.

If you plan on shooting it, it will work well if you plan on doing copy work, but the luminance range of a gray scale is shorter than the average scene. There is a distinction between print Zones and subject Zones. Ten subject Zones has a range of ten stops or 3.0 luminance range. I believe the card is closer to 5 or 6 stops (1.50 to 1.80 reflective density range).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I just plan to use it to establish film speed (ball park figures, exp film), and work on dev times with my developers. should I use reflective paper or matted?
    Is there a way to get more range?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by afrank View Post
    I was trying to make my own gray-scale Wedge with 11 steps and decided to add a section where detail was present inside a zone.
    for zone V i took the value of 127 -+ 12 and ended up creating a brick/mortar pattern. I haven't tested this on film yet, but it seems that detail for darker zones seems clearer.
    Is there a better way to do this pattern? maybe darker zones should have less variance from the middle value....

Thanks for any advice!
    I like the idea, but IMO, the gray scale that is presented should be in keeping with a bonifide zone system gray scale, especially if references to zones are going to be your norm. I realize you are in the beginning phase of it, but for example, your Zone I contains way too much detail to be Zone I and the same for Zone IX. I would simply refer you to The Negative and the chapter on the Zone System and the sub-sections of "The Exposure Scale" and "Dynamic and Textural Ranges"------------it's all there and is easily understood. I've created the gray scale as described (after doing effective speed tests of course) and it pans out that way very well. Again, it's a good idea IMO.

Chuck

Shooter
    Medium Format
    @Cporter
    Thank you for the input. I do have all 3 A.A. books but I tried to have a single/simple subject I can photograph to test the film. He advices doing it with a wall/fabric. My goal was to print the card and use it as my exposure test. Having said that, the cards zone I has detail because we can see it, but will the film see it? That is precisely what I wanted to test. Else I will have to go back to shooting my bathroom wall 10 times at 2$ the shot...

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Good Lord! Establish zone 1 and find the processing for zone 8 and get out of the house. Intuitive sense from experience is the important thing.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    ok

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by afrank View Post
    ok
    Make your gray scale, man----------you'll probably learn something.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin