Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,573   Posts: 1,545,686   Online: 803

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1968 expired Aerographic Panatomic-X 70mm

Hi folks

I recently picked up some dirt cheap Panatomic-X, it's the Aero version in 15ft lengths, 70mm perf, so ideal for my Mamiya 70mm backs I use with my Century and Speed Graphic 23s.

It expired in 1968, but I suspect it will still be fine.

I mostly use Microdol-X 1:3 and I read it was ideal for Pan-X.

Before I shoot some of this stuff, I would like some tips. What speed should I rate it at, given the age? I usually rate at half box speed if developing in 1:3 M-X as I love the tonality I get.

Is the Aero version any difference to regular Pan-X?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    It is all in your court. Expose some make records of exposures... I'd photograph a grey card with a baseball, and some other items lit by the sun say on the steps of your house at noon. Make records, perhaps run a couple batches. Microdol-X, I always understood reduced the sharp edges of grain in high speed film. I'd go with D-76 or HC-110.

No point in any of "us" offering specifics as to your claim "I suspect it will be fine". I may have been heated to 110+F for a day or a week or most of several summers in a warehouse, or the trunk of a 1964 Chevy.. Most people would have thrown that film out in 1977 let alone 1997 or 2007.

Let us know what you find, you have work to do if you are going to use this film, go to it.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I bought a bulk roll of Aero Plus-X. When I developed it to a reasonable contrast index, it was quite slow, like EI 50 was about right. It was also surprisingly grainy!

The Aero films are designed to developed for contrast index of 0.75 to 0.85, to make up for atmospheric haze. When you pull back to CI 0.6 you lose a good bit of speed. So in your bracketing tests, bracket towards the lower EI side.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

I'm guessing you bought this on eBay lol.

There's a LOT of 70mm out there, I wasn't too pleased with the Tri-x nor the Pan-X I got from the 60's but the GAF seems amazing lol. I haven't tried the.

The Tri-X was SUPER foggy, so good luck, I suggest fixing it for a few extra minutes than normal. It will curl a lot so scanning or printing will be more difficult. Have you found a 70mm spool? They aren't easy to come by.

I've learned a lot from all the 70mm I've shot, I love the stuff it's a pain but somehow satisfying.

I would suggest developers that are really fast like I used ilfsol 3 because of the 4 minute dev times it cuts down on fog it seems any really short dev time developer is recommended for older films.

That's my 2 cents

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Oh and there's a "general rule" to cut off one stop per 10 years, so if a film expired in 1993 with an ASA of 400 I would shoot that at 100 because as it ages it loses speed. Unless its been frozen then it's a different story so knowing the history is important. The oldest I've gone is 1947 film that I act silly over exposed because it seems the "slow down factor" levels off after a few decades... So if its 35 years I suggest cutting it to 25 years of compensation (and make sure to account for the change in the design of film speed ratings, they DOUBLED the speed factor at some point in the past.

I went and dug up the last roll of Panatomic-X I shot from the 60s,

As you can see I labeled it as shooting at EI 12....

And here is a strip on my light box to show density...

That should be helpful...

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Thanks for the info guys, looks like 12 is a good starting point. For developing, I have an old Nebro tank with adjustable spiral and one of the settings is for 116 which is the same width as 70mm.

For developers, I have Fomadon LQN, Fomadon LQR, Ornano ST20, Microdol-X, Celer-Stellar and RO9, I'll start with the Microdol-X and go from there.

Yup, I got this on ebay. I've seen the GAF stuff, tempted to grab some, but shipping to England makes it not so cheap.

I missed out on 150ft of Agfa Ortho 25 last week, German seller and he wouldn't accept paypal, and doing an international bank transfer can get expensive.

I'm on the hunt for more 70mm, I mostly shoot BW, but I have several 100ft rolls of Fujichrome duplicating film in the fridge so I have lots of E6 in 70mm.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Good luck, it doesn't show much on the light box but I wasn't happy with the base fog in these negs either, but it wasn't terrible..

Also, this particular batch of film I developed in DD-X and not Ilfsol 3 because it was a mixed batch of old films and I was more playing around than being specific, but I THINK my Dev time was 5 minutes... It would have been 4 in Ilfsol 3... Hope that also helps.

~Stone

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Please post an example of the outcome. I'm curious.

Sure Martin, I'll be posting the results.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin