Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,502   Posts: 1,543,400   Online: 727

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tofek View Post
    A good alternative to D-94 is the high contrast developer D-19, which you can buy, and add thiocyanate (or thiosulfate) if you want. On this site there is a comparaison of developers tested on Tri-X (see 'research') : www.super8.nl
    Tofek, I hadn't seen that page. It's interesting if a bit inconclusive at times in terms of specific info etc. Test 1 doesn't say what film but I assume that like Test 3 it's also Tri-X.

But aren't all the Test 1 results with Tetenal Dokulith, Kodak T-Max dev, Ilford Multigrade and Tetenal Dokumol good!

Tetenal Dokulith is well balanced and has a nice touch of 'grit'. The first 3 are all quite similar with Multigrade being a bit grainer.

I also like Dokumol for the grain and graphicness.

The D19/67 processed films are all push processed. Not so keen on them but useful to see.

I want to try the Tetenal Dokulith. It reminds me of the first time I dev'd Tri-X Super 8 with a Tetenal Reversal kit. Exciting.

A very useful page, thank-you.

[Edit - I think Tetenal Dokulith is long gone]
    Last edited by mr.datsun; 02-07-2013 at 03:12 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    Here are Ilford's instructions for reversal processing.

http://www.ilfordphoto.com/applications/page.asp?n=90
    Thansk, Gerald. YEs that is a good one – it's the PDF that made me decide to try PQ, using their suggested timings and dilution. I'm going to add the sodium thiosulphate next.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you look at the page "educate" you'll see he advises 6 min of first development with Dokumol 1+9 or Dokulith 1+3. Anyway, the development times used for the test are the same for all the developers, that's what matters. And in the introduction of the section he mentions the use of Tri-X in all b&w tests.
    As for Dokulith, I've been looking for this one too. I had one Orwo UN54 film processed by Frank of this lab, he told me he used Dokulith, and the result is stunning : bright film and nice contrast. When I asked him he advised to look for Dokumol as a replacement.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    1 liter of 10% Hypo is 100 g/l and added to D76 will result in 50g/l of Hypo and 1/2 of the rest of the D76 ingredients just by dilution alone. This will ruin the developer. If you substitute DTOD with Hypo, you would use about 1 - 2 g/l of Hypo in the D76. But then, look at the other developer. It has Bromide in it as a restrainer which changes the action on the film totally.

So, they are not interchangeable nor are the amounts of hypo useful - unless you want a monobath. Hah!

BTW, look at the HQ amounts in the two developers. That should give you some hint that something is different!

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use dektol and in my experiance it has performed the best. You need a strong developer to build up the contrast and I don't think D76 will achieve the best results, although it will work.

Different films will require different levels of solvent. I use a "hypo" solution that I add to the developer just as I use it, in a one-shot metheod. I documented what I did here... http://myfilmstuff.blogspot.ca/2011/...l-process.html .
    Get it right in the camera, the first time...

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tofek View Post
    If you look at the page "educate" you'll see he advises 6 min of first development with Dokumol 1+9 or Dokulith 1+3. Anyway, the development times used for the test are the same for all the developers, that's what matters. And in the introduction of the section he mentions the use of Tri-X in all b&w tests.
    As for Dokulith, I've been looking for this one too. I had one Orwo UN54 film processed by Frank of this lab, he told me he used Dokulith, and the result is stunning : bright film and nice contrast. When I asked him he advised to look for Dokumol as a replacement.
    Tofek. Sorry - i didn't get round to reading further than the test pages for the details before making the wrong conclusion. Dokumol is worth trying as a replacement for the Dokulith and I'll be tempted to try when I finish testing with the PQ. But I also thought that the TMAX dev and the Multigrade looked quite similar to the Dokulith – at least from the samples.

I suppose we should find the formula for Dokumol to check which type of bleach it is compatible with, if we're going to try it.
    Last edited by mr.datsun; 02-07-2013 at 07:45 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mrred View Post
    I use dektol and in my experiance it has performed the best. You need a strong developer to build up the contrast and I don't think D76 will achieve the best results, although it will work.

Different films will require different levels of solvent. I use a "hypo" solution that I add to the developer just as I use it, in a one-shot metheod. I documented what I did here... http://myfilmstuff.blogspot.ca/2011/...l-process.html .
    mrred. It seems that D76 is out for me. I've heard of people using Dektol. Nice to see you documenting and sharing your method on your blog. Have you got any samples?

Dektol uses sodium sulfite so I guess should be fine with a permanganate bleach.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.datsun View Post
    mrred. It seems that D76 is out for me. I've heard of people using Dektol. Nice to see you documenting and sharing your method on your blog. Have you got any samples?
    I use Dektol because it is the strongest and does not require additives to get the job done. Excepting a little hypo.

Some samples can be found at http://www.flickr.com/photos/peterbc...7629496128586/ . This was a test to compare ORWO UN54 with Foma 100. Foma 100 does not require any hypo and is just about the perfect starter reversal film. All the shots in my gallery (at this moment) are reversals.

Note that scans do not do reversals much justice. Projected, or at least through a viewer is my prefered way to view them. In my opinion it is the most perfect way to shoot film. You cannot get any greater detail. However the scans are still higher quality than negitive scans.

The shot of the train station deck was done on my last roll of Neopan 400 120. It is a truly beutiful 6x9 reversal. I had printed 13x19 and hung on my wall. It can go much bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by mr.datsun View Post
    Dektol uses sodium sulfite so I guess should be fine with a permanganate bleach.
    One does not have anything to do with the other. They are seperate steps.
    Get it right in the camera, the first time...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dektol is a paper developer which has no concern for image quality. D75 and other film developers are designed for film quality Oh dear, I guess you younger guys do not distinguish between film and paper developers.

PE

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Dektol is a paper developer which has no concern for image quality. D75 and other film developers are designed for film quality Oh dear, I guess you younger guys do not distinguish between film and paper developers.

PE
    Photo Engineer. Thank-you for your previous comment about D94a. You confirmed the growing opinion that D76 would make no substitute for D94a despite a claim I read elsewhere that said it could.

With regards Dektol and the use of paper developers for film reversal developing amongst the younger generation. Look at The Darkroom Cookbook and the 2003 Ilford Application Sheet on reversal processing.

The Darkroom Cookbook which was first published in 1994 by Focal, so not exactly a baby on the subject. In the section on reversal processing in the 3rd ed. it states that 'The first stage is known as primary development. In this stage, the exposed film is developed using an energetic developer to ensure that every exposed grain in the emulsion is developed.'. An energetic developer. I believe that paper developers fit that bill.

Then in the 2003 Ilford Application Sheet on Reversal Processing it suggests using either Ilford Bromophen 1+1 or Ilford PQ Universal at 1+5. Ilford Bromophen is a paper developer and Ilford PQ Universal is a paper and film developer.

Also, the first time I reverse processed Super 8 Tri-X was in the 80s. The Tetenal Kit I used specified the use of paper developer.

If you have used other (film) developers for b&w reversal processing (especially Tri-X), I'd love to hear about them and how they worked out!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin