Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,775   Posts: 1,484,477   Online: 890

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Mrred, not sure what you are talking about.
    There was a PDF floating around, written by a apuger, about doing reversals with his twist on the theory. He indecated that the bleach step, if left too long, would also remove the silver in the image.

I will have to find that pdf....

I would guess you would have points based more on fact....

It's sad on how little current info there is on this, out there.
    Get it right in the camera, the first time...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Guys;

Without reading all of this, why not use something that has been done before with good results?

PE

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Guys;

Without reading all of this, why not use something that has been done before with good results?

PE
    PE, you seem to know a lot about this and I'm always open to ideas.

To put this into context you have to remember that i'm going to be working with Tri-X Super 8. As far as I know the only known and documented developer is the Kodak one - D94(a). And we can't get this without mixing it from scratch which I just cannot do at home. All other developers I've come across are aimed at other films and usually with lower ASA ratings than the Tri-X which is down-rated to 160/200 ASA when used in Super 8.

As Mr Red says the information is scant. Especially workable and practical information. Much of what info there is out there, is based on what people have experimented with – and often unverified by peer group. It's partly an internet problem, it's partly that the old reliable off the shelf commercial solutions have long gone...
    Last edited by mr.datsun; 02-13-2013 at 09:43 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mrred View Post
    Try 1:1 or 1:2. I don't use much less than this with Dektol which should have the same activity level. Even then it's at the suggested time of 12. Time is less critical than when developing negatives as the density is much greater. With D-19 I had to use 1:1 which was why I stopped using it; it got much more expensive than Dektol.

try jumping up more in times. I would use increments of 10. When you get fog, try backing off half way from the last point. If that is good, bump it forward half way....and so on.

You should get the similar results with PQ. It looks like you are just using a strong enough dilution. In theory you should be able to use any developer. Getting it to work well or with a reasonable cost is another story.

Mr Red. If as you say, then it's going to boil down to cost. Your Dektol is 3.8L of stock diluted at 1+1 or 1+2. If I dilute my 500ml bottle of PQ (similar cost) at 1+1 then it'll take a whole bottle to do one Super 8 Film at 1L (and that's only the 1st developer). So I'm going to try a bottle of Dektol in liquid form and then if the equivalent dilutions can be worked out I will compare costs between Dektol powdered and Dektol liquid. I think Dektol stock at 1+1 is the same as Dektol liquid at 1+9 but I'm not sure.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, there are some reversal kits out there, and there are also reversal process services. That is kind of what I was referring to. This would then be less of a problem I would think.

PE

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    PE. There is one reversal kit out there*. It called the Foma Reversal kit. It's the one I am using and the developer in it is not energetic enough for Tri-X. that is the reason for my journeys into the unknown.

I need to process the film myself as it's an important part of my working method but also just because I get a lot of satisfaction from doing it myself.

*although Adox have announced one for their Pan-X Reverso Super 8 film (ie. Scala). We don't know when it will be available even if it did work with Tri-X.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ah, and Kodak has apparently stopped making theirs.

Sorry.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.datsun View Post
    It called the Foma Reversal kit. It's the one I am using and the developer in it is not energetic enough for Tri-X.
    Have you finally tried it ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Formulary sells a reversal kit modeled on the Kodak one. It is 01-0600. Should work with most any film.

PE

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tofek View Post
    Have you finally tried it ?
    Tofek. No, I was told it would be unsuccessful by two people. And I haven't tried it to confirm that. I guess it's the idea of spending days testing with no idea it will work. I'm trying the Kodak Dektol liquid version, POLYMAX soon and will post results - probably not until next week.

Have you thought about trying the Dokumol direction? I'm not clear what the economic cost of that one would be...
    Last edited by mr.datsun; 02-13-2013 at 02:48 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: got it wrong

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin