Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,842   Posts: 1,582,635   Online: 1030

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    The Formulary sells a reversal kit modeled on the Kodak one. It is 01-0600. Should work with most any film.

PE
    PE. Thank-you. I haven't seen the Formulary's site before although I've heard of it.

But the Formulary's kit does say it's for TMAX 100 and 400 not Tri-X.

Kodak also make a TMAX reversal developer (KODAK T-MAX 100 Direct Positive Film Developing Outfit), too but it's only stated for TMAX and Technical Pan and that's why I decided to not to investigate it apart from seeing that someone had had no success with it on Tri-X (see below).

See doc:

http://wwwuk.kodak.com/global/en/pro...bs/j87/j87.pdf

Of course there's nothing saying that these TMAX reversal kits wont work and here's two conflicting reports that i found.

Ken Paul Rosenthal: 'The TMAX kit was designed for Plus-X and Tri-X black and white reversal stocks' . However Ken does not detail or show his B&W results, so I'm not going to take it as gospel.

and then:

aca91: 'I developed a super 8 roll of Tri-X with a Tmax Reversal Kit and got nothing from it'

of course, it's only one anecdote, and he could have just got something wrong.

It's interesting as, although I probably wont be able to get the Formulary kit in the UK, I might be able to get the Kodak one. So if it was known to work, it might be worth investigating.
    Last edited by mr.datsun; 02-13-2013 at 03:31 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I could not find that Kodak link. I guess they still make it.

Ok, I should tell you that the original kit was developed (pun unintended) for Tri-X and Plus x as well as Super XX and a few other films. It used a Dichromate bleach. The times were changed and a Permanganate bleach was then used for T-Max. Basically, the times and the bleach changes were the big items. IDK what bleach is now used, but I suspect Permanganate due to the toxicity claimed for the Dichromate bleach.

I have one of the older "universal" kits here and probably have the instructions as well. I'll take a look.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.datsun View Post
    Have you thought about trying the Dokumol direction? I'm not clear what the economic cost of that one would be...
    Yes I tried the Dokumol direction last weekend. I used 1+9 dilution, first without KSCN and then with 5g/L of KSCN. The results are awesome, the contrast is very high, the blacks are beautiful. The KSCN helped to clear the highlights without touching (surprisingly!) the shadows, so it increased contrast a little, which I didn't really expect...So the density is great and the film pretty bright. I can take a photo of how the film looks this weekend, if you want. I'll definitely stick with Dokumol and play with dilutions (dilute more) and use of KSCN.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tofek View Post
    Yes I tried the Dokumol direction last weekend. I used 1+9 dilution, first without KSCN and then with 5g/L of KSCN. The results are awesome, the contrast is very high, the blacks are beautiful. The KSCN helped to clear the highlights without touching (surprisingly!) the shadows, so it increased contrast a little, which I didn't really expect...So the density is great and the film pretty bright. I can take a photo of how the film looks this weekend, if you want. I'll definitely stick with Dokumol and play with dilutions (dilute more) and use of KSCN.
    Tofek. You sound happy! YEs, I'd love to see the results, please. Which film stock are you testing on?
    Last edited by mr.datsun; 02-13-2013 at 06:15 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm still using Orwo UN54, a rather low contrast 100ASA stock. But I will soon change for Fomapan R100, a true reversal stock with clear base. It should ship today...

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin