Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,537   Posts: 1,544,276   Online: 777

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Does Tape Glow?

Shooter
    35mm
    They are powerful. I have a tape of Gloria Estevan and the Miami Sound Machine that has a crackle on it and I was told that this was caused by Fidel Castro facing Florida pulling Scotch Tape to lower the quality of any Cuban exiles' musical recording

pentaxuser

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by sage View Post
    So do the X rays do anything or are they minimal enough that it doesn't matter?
    As already indicated there must be a vacuum to establish an environment where charges are large enough to evoke X-rays.

Loading a camera in vacuum would not be a typical use...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    They are powerful. I have a tape of Gloria Estevan and the Miami Sound Machine that has a crackle on it and I was told that this was caused by Fidel Castro facing Florida pulling Scotch Tape to lower the quality of any Cuban exiles' musical recording

pentaxuser
    :-D

Maybe it was the ghosts of the BBC masts at Daventry. I well remember receiving Radio Moscow on my poorly-shielded stereo system. Ah the happy days of the Cold War... :-)

I have noticed the 'tape glow' phenomenon too but I always thought it was static electricity, which shows how much I know, dunnit. :-)

Cheers,
    kevs
    testing...

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

Re: Does Tape Glow?

There's a very simple solution to this: don't pull the tape from the film but pull the paper backing from the tape and fold back the tape over the film: that also gives you a much stiffer end to start spooling the film on the reel (I always start from "the other side"). Works great with Jobo reels, but I never tried with Paterson or others.

Stefan

Verstuurd van mijn GT-P7510 met Tapatalk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    when i don't have an enlarger handy to do contact prints,
    i usually pull the tape off a 120 roll really fast and chomp on a wintergreen lifesaver ..
    it works pretty well

ymmv

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    when i don't have an enlarger handy to do contact prints,
    i usually pull the tape off a 120 roll really fast and chomp on a wintergreen lifesaver ..
    it works pretty well
    ymmv

If you can do that in a vacuum, you could make your own dental x-rays....

I always fold over the tape on 120 as it goes into the end of the reel too. Someone is going to tell us why that's a bad habit, but so far so good.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by NedL View Post
    I always fold over the tape on 120 as it goes into the end of the reel too. Someone is going to tell us why that's a bad habit, but so far so good.
    I suppose if any paper fibers stick to the tape, they might come off during processing and stick to the film.

TBN
    Fredericks Harbour (Frederikshavn), Denmark
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, the tape glows. Same with opening an envelope - that one also glows.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I was taking the black tape off a bulk spool canister, I was amazed at how bright the green glow was, and glad the tape was on the outside with the film inside!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hm… I wonder…

On my first roll of Delta 3200, I struggled mightily with the tape. It resulted in me worrying the film end quite a bit. I've been wondering if the fogging on the tape end of the film, covering about a frame and a half (6x6cm frames; the length was about the length of film still to be loaded onto the plastic “walking” reel), was an artifact of the tape struggle, the film torsion, or something else.
    Henry C. Gernhardt, III

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin