Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,713   Posts: 1,483,017   Online: 670
      
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23
  1. #11

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    949
    Some interesting comments at

    http://www.clayharmon.com/misc/BTZS.pdf

    I haven't tried it. It seems that there are different perceptions of the grain.

    You don't need benzotriazole if you double the bromide.

  2. #12
    Kevin Caulfield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,074
    Blog Entries
    5
    Images
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick Fagan View Post
    Kevin, Kevin, Kevin, what film, what speed and which developer?

    The suspense is killing me!

    Mick.
    By the way, Mick, you were the one who showed me how easy it is to mix your own developer, so thanks.

  3. #13

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Los Alamos, NM
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,018
    Unfortunately, I do not have my FX-37 formula with me right now. It was one published shortly after that developer was announced, and, as I recall, was similar to what has been shown and referenced here. I've used FX-37 a fair number of times for both TMX and TX. It has always produced outstanding results. I wish there was more information on developing times available, however. FX-37 is pretty complicated to mix, so I generally favor the simpler D-76. FX-37 may give slightly superior results, especially in the sharpness department.

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,091
    I have the original article BJP Mar 27 1996 in which Crawley first published the formula for FX-37 and can confirm that the formula given in APUG's Articles section is correct:
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum223/...lta-films.html
    Elsewhere the formula is given with 69g sulfite ,which may have originated as a typo, and in the Film Developing Cookbook the formula is also wrong, having a large excess of benzotriazole.

    Later, when he was technical consultant to Amateur Photographer magazine, he stated that the potassium bromide could be increased from 0.5g/L to 1.0g/L if the benzotriazole is omitted.He said this was a move to help the amateur as the benzotriazole (originally included for conditions of professional re-use) is difficult to dissolve.The change has no effect on image quality.
    He also stated "the closest published formula to FX-39 is FX-37".

    In Amateur Photographer Aug 27 2005 he published " a guide to development times of some popular emulsions when rated at their nominal ISO speed" , these times are close to those given by Gerald Koch in the APUG Articles section.

  5. #15
    clay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Asheville, North Carolina
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,118
    Images
    8
    I see someone linked that old pdf I made about FX-37 a few years ago. I still feel the same way about that developer…. It is still the only developer I use on roll film. It gives me full film speed, controllable highlights and superb sharpness, plus it has that very hard-to-explain but very easy-to-see grain structure that I like. The grain clumps have very defined sharp edges, and this can lend an apparent visual acuity to the resulting prints that makes even so-so lenses look pretty good.
    I just want to feel nostalgic like I used to.


    http://www.clayharmon.net - turnip extraordinaire

  6. #16
    Kevin Caulfield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,074
    Blog Entries
    5
    Images
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Johnson View Post
    I have the original article BJP Mar 27 1996 in which Crawley first published the formula for FX-37 and can confirm that the formula given in APUG's Articles section is correct:
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum223/...lta-films.html
    Elsewhere the formula is given with 69g sulfite ,which may have originated as a typo, and in the Film Developing Cookbook the formula is also wrong, having a large excess of benzotriazole.
    .
    The Film Developing Cookbook in its current edition has the formula correct, with 5ml of a 1% benzotriazole solution.

  7. #17

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,091
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Caulfield View Post
    The Film Developing Cookbook in its current edition has the formula correct, with 5ml of a 1% benzotriazole solution.
    I think you are referring to the DARKROOM Cookbook 3rd ed 2008 p216 which is correct.
    AFAIK the most recent revision of the Film Developing Cookbook dates from 1998 and has the wrong formula 50ml on p61.

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    949
    Quote Originally Posted by clay View Post
    I see someone linked that old pdf I made about FX-37 a few years ago. I still feel the same way about that developer…. It is still the only developer I use on roll film. It gives me full film speed, controllable highlights and superb sharpness, plus it has that very hard-to-explain but very easy-to-see grain structure that I like. The grain clumps have very defined sharp edges, and this can lend an apparent visual acuity to the resulting prints that makes even so-so lenses look pretty good.
    Thanks Clay. It's good to know that you still find it satisfactory. Time to get out my chemistry set!

    (as an aside, speaking of chemistry sets: I had one or two when I was young and found chemistry fascinating. I haven't seen on in the shops for ages. Are they now deemed too dangerous for modern kids?)

  9. #19

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Southern USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,531
    Quote Originally Posted by john_s View Post
    (as an aside, speaking of chemistry sets: I had one or two when I was young and found chemistry fascinating. I haven't seen on in the shops for ages. Are they now deemed too dangerous for modern kids?)
    You would be surprised what is considered dangerous today. We should all have died as children. Parents have been warned not to bring food to school for their child's class. The end of cupcakes. The "wisdom" behind this is that a child might have an unspecified reaction, get sick and sue the school.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

    ~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

  10. #20

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    476
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    You would be surprised what is considered dangerous today. We should all have died as children. Parents have been warned not to bring food to school for their child's class. The end of cupcakes. The "wisdom" behind this is that a child might have an unspecified reaction, get sick and sue the school.
    Oh yes! I think back to all the things I played around with and you're right, I shouldn't be here right now. My granddaughter was told not to bring peanut butter sandwiches to school. I ask my daughter why and she said that one of her classmates has a "peanut" allergy. Now nobody in the whole class can have a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. That pissed me off since I used to live on those throughout my whole school career. I said they should let the little bugger eat in the janitors office and let the rest of the kids have their peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Sometimes life sucks and it shouldn't have to. As for darkroom chemicals go? There are a few bad ones, but if we new what was dumped into the stuff we eat we probably starve to death. Well, I don't know about anybody else here, but I'm not going to starve to death and I'm not giving up the darkroom either.
    Thursday I'll be souping some Arista 120 EDU ISO 100 (aka Foma) in some mixed FX-37 1:5 for the first time. Does anyone have any experience with this combo? JohnW

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin