Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,957   Posts: 1,586,054   Online: 828
      
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 31
  1. #21

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Central Florida, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    4,087
    h.v.

    If you run a fan with door shut and sealed, it won't do any good. It won't circulate air and it won't remove humidity. In order for the fan to move air, there has to be an incoming flow of air. Otherwise, it will do absolutely nothing unless you have a vacuum pump for exhaust fan.... Plus, air circulation also means dust circulation.

    I had few issues with sleeves but both were my fault. One, my film wasn't completely dry. I found out, feeling dry to touch isn't good enough. It takes over night drying and some before it is dry and emulsions hardens as a result. Also, I had to make sure the film was clean and free of dust particles. Otherwise, it just drags across the film.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

  2. #22
    MattKing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Delta, British Columbia, Canada
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    12,961
    Images
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by henry finley View Post
    I don't know now... the measurement of the King's foot got the US to the moon 7 times. Even rode around in a go-cart there. !2" = 1ft. works for me just perfect. Wouldn't have it any other way. I see these brand new space program shows on PBS nowadays, and they're talking all that kilometers stuff--what's that? SPEAK ENGLISH!
    henry:

    A lot of the space race technology was metric, and metric measures are in most cases official measurement units in the USA are metric.

    It is one of those "left-wing" things
    Matt

    “Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

    Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

  3. #23

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    186
    So I processed a roll last night. Final rinse was 1L of distilled water + 5mL of Ilfotol for roughly 30 seconds. Hanging to dry, the negatives were drying abnormally fast. There was already only a few drops here and there. I ended up using the squeegee once, but that's it. I probably didn't even need to. But as most of it was dried, I inspected and blobs still appear on the base side. The emulsion side appears to be fine, it seems. I don't know. I'll look into the film sponge and alcohol thing...but I would've figured this would've worked. The only thing I can think of now is reloading it onto the spiral (I haven't cut the negatives, it's still hanging) and rewashing with 1L of distilled water at roughly 20°C. Should I readd Ilfotol though? I'm not sure.
    cities & citizens - edmonton street photography (mostly), 100% film

  4. #24
    MattKing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Delta, British Columbia, Canada
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    12,961
    Images
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by h.v. View Post
    So I processed a roll last night. Final rinse was 1L of distilled water + 5mL of Ilfotol for roughly 30 seconds. Hanging to dry, the negatives were drying abnormally fast. There was already only a few drops here and there. I ended up using the squeegee once, but that's it. I probably didn't even need to. But as most of it was dried, I inspected and blobs still appear on the base side. The emulsion side appears to be fine, it seems. I don't know. I'll look into the film sponge and alcohol thing...but I would've figured this would've worked. The only thing I can think of now is reloading it onto the spiral (I haven't cut the negatives, it's still hanging) and rewashing with 1L of distilled water at roughly 20°C. Should I readd Ilfotol though? I'm not sure.
    Don't re-wash - gently wipe the base (non-emulsion) side of the film with a dampened, lint-free soft cloth.

    Make sure you don't inadvertently scratch the emulsion side while you handle the film.

    The clue to your problem is your reference to the film drying "abnormally fast". This tells me that your humidity is very low. Did you wet down your shower area before you hung the film to dry there?

    If you are going to squeegee, it is the base side you should concentrate on.

    Also, can you hang your film sideways, so the water only needs to travel about 30 mm to reach the edge?
    Matt

    “Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

    Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

  5. #25

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    186
    The bathroom I'm using is a half bath...no shower. The main bathroom with a shower is too messy and dusty, I'd rather not. I can't hang the film sideways, unless an awkward U shape is ok. The bathroom is not wide enough. Does the cloth need to be dampened with distilled water, or should tap water be ok?
    cities & citizens - edmonton street photography (mostly), 100% film

  6. #26
    MattKing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Delta, British Columbia, Canada
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    12,961
    Images
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by h.v. View Post
    The bathroom I'm using is a half bath...no shower. The main bathroom with a shower is too messy and dusty, I'd rather not. I can't hang the film sideways, unless an awkward U shape is ok. The bathroom is not wide enough. Does the cloth need to be dampened with distilled water, or should tap water be ok?
    Distilled water would be better, if the cause of the problem is your tap water in the first place.
    Matt

    “Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

    Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

  7. #27
    Andrew O'Neill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Coquitlam, BC, Canada
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    702
    Images
    9
    I bet your fellow Canadians in Quebec are metric
    Huh? All of Canada is metric, eh. Not just the province of Quebec, eh. Has been since about '76, eh.

    I don't think those are reticulation marks. I've never seen reticulation on only small bits of the film. Also, with modern films it is very very difficult to reticulate. It's from wet film inserted into the sleeve, me thinks.

  8. #28

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    186
    Ok, thanks MattKing for that tip. I picked up a chamois from Canadian Tire and cleaned it, than dampened it in distilled water. I ran it a couple times gently down the base side, where the marks were showing up. Dried very quickly it seems and now there doesn't look to be any water marks. Hooray! I keep looking, expecting to find something, but nothing.
    cities & citizens - edmonton street photography (mostly), 100% film

  9. #29
    MattKing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Delta, British Columbia, Canada
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    12,961
    Images
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by h.v. View Post
    Ok, thanks MattKing for that tip. I picked up a chamois from Canadian Tire and cleaned it, than dampened it in distilled water. I ran it a couple times gently down the base side, where the marks were showing up. Dried very quickly it seems and now there doesn't look to be any water marks. Hooray! I keep looking, expecting to find something, but nothing.
    Shh - you will let out the secret - only Canadian Tire products will solve this problem .

    Glad this worked for you.

    I still think though that lack of humidity is a big part of the problem - can you put out a small tray of water near where you are drying the film?
    Matt

    “Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

    Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

  10. #30

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    186
    Yeah, low humidity is commonplace in Alberta (the Prairies in general, really). So much so that even Vancouver feels very humid to us, even though in my mind I know Vancouver is quite tame when compared to Toronto, or Recife, or Hong Kong, or Mumbai . I'll try having a tray beneath the hanging negative. Would warmer water be better do you think?

    Thanks again!
    cities & citizens - edmonton street photography (mostly), 100% film

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin