Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,708   Posts: 1,548,575   Online: 1163

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Ilford Rapid Fixer - milkyness and heavy odour?

Hello,
    I tried searching but found nothing. I have a 5 l package of Ilford Rapid Fixer and it's about 2-3 years old, now it's about 1/3 full.
    Today when mixing fresh fixer I opened the bottle and it was stinking of acid and the liquid was a bit milky (like cloudy inside - don't know how to express it) - I was used the Rapid Fixer being nearly odorless so this makes me wonder if it is still OK to use it. However it fixed test strip quickly.

Is it safe to use it or should I discard it for non-critical application only?
    Thanks for all answers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Throw it out.... as may be seen in the Monty Python sketch of the caged parrot, it is now dead... it is a container of ex-Fixer.

Ken
    Quando omni flunkus moritati (R. Green)

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Even when it actually cleared the test-strip in less than half minute?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The fixer has started to sulfurize. Discard it as the condition will continue to worsen. The sulfur particles can adhere to film and are impossible to remove.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Okay, I'll discard it completely... Thanks for the advice.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This has happened to me 2-3 times before. I think it's because the bottle of fixer was left unused while it is less than full. Air gets in and oxidizes/sulfurizes the fixer inside. Those times that I was overly optimistic thinking that the fixer would still fix a roll of film properly, I wish I hadn't. Most times it required a re-fix with a fresh batch of fixer. Throwing it out is the best thing to do.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin