Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,912   Posts: 1,521,610   Online: 877

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Very old camera came with film...

I purchased an Argus 75 on line....looks very clean and in excellent shape and it came with a roll of exposed film still inside the camera. The film is Kodak Verichrome Pan 620.
    (I've attached a pix.) So I found an article and the author developed it at 64F for 8 minutes in HC-110 developer (here's the link http://silverbased.org/dev-old-vp/) My house is about 67-68F this time of year. I don't have HC-110 developer, I have t-max, Ilford Ilfosol-3 and D-76 powder. Which one of these would be the best to use or should I get some HC-110? Since my house is slightly warmer should I cut the time to 7 1/2 min? Has anyone processed such film? I'm very curious to see what's on the film...and heck...I have to process it ...I want the spool to respool some 120 onto so I can try the camera out myself. I am impressed with how clear the viewfinder is, especially compared with the graflex.
    Thanks in advance.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo Feb 09, 2 37 46 PM.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	434.1 KB 
ID:	63868

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cepwin View Post
    I purchased an Argus 75 on line....looks very clean and in excellent shape and it came with a roll of exposed film still inside the camera. The film is Kodak Verichrome Pan 620.
    (I've attached a pix.) So I found an article and the author developed it at 64F for 8 minutes in HC-110 developer (here's the link http://silverbased.org/dev-old-vp/) My house is about 67-68F this time of year. I don't have HC-110 developer, I have t-max, Ilford Ilfosol-3 and D-76 powder. Which one of these would be the best to use or should I get some HC-110? Since my house is slightly warmer should I cut the time to 7 1/2 min? Has anyone processed such film? I'm very curious to see what's on the film...and heck...I have to process it ...I want the spool to respool some 120 onto so I can try the camera out myself. I am impressed with how clear the viewfinder is, especially compared with the graflex.
    Thanks in advance.

Name:	Photo Feb 09, 2 37 46 PM.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	434.1 KB 
ID:	63868
    I would suggest 11 minutes in D76 at 68F/20C 1:1.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    35mm
    I am sure you'll get answers quite quickly but a search should produce some threads on this. My experience of a couple of Verichrome Pan films is that the negs will come out remarkably well. I saw a bit of a kind of fogging for want of a better word i.e. the negs will not be up to the standard of a just purchased Ilford or Kodak film but still be pretty good.

You might want to look at the MDC as well There might be times there for your combinations

Let us know and show us if possible how the negs and prints turn out.

Best of luck

pentaxuser

Shooter
    127 Format
    Get some HC-110.

I developed a 50+ year old roll of Verichrome Pan in D76 and it came out dense but there was a lot of base fog. I didn't try to print the negatives and the scans took a lot of work but they were usable.

HC-110 would have reduced the base fog.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
    Get some HC-110.

I developed a 50+ year old roll of Verichrome Pan in D76 and it came out dense but there was a lot of base fog. I didn't try to print the negatives and the scans took a lot of work but they were usable.

HC-110 would have reduced the base fog.
    How would HC-110 reduce base fog? Is it some form of time machine?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    127 Format
    Haha... I'm an idiot. The link was already posted above.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
    Haha... I'm an idiot. The link was already posted above.
    I beg to differ.

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    127 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cepwin View Post
    ... So I found an article and the author developed it at 64F for 8 minutes in HC-110 developer (here's the link http://silverbased.org/dev-old-vp/)
    Yes, you're right, HC-110 does not actually reduce base fog, but it does allow quicker development of the image before the base fog gets developed too much.

So I guess I should say it reduces the appearance of base fog.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Well I mixed up the D-76 and followed Clive H's instructions 1:1 for 11 min and did 8 min fix (vs normal 6min) and of the 12 images on the roll I got 5 images! Tnx you all for your input. I will scan them in probably tomorrow night and see what I've got.

Name:	Photo Feb 10, 7 47 12 PM.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	557.9 KB 
ID:	63930

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin