Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,771   Posts: 1,484,321   Online: 1084

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lawrenceimpey View Post
    One of us is misreading J78. On page 7 they give the 'useful capacity' in litres (in brackets) in the last column. According to them the number of films is 4, which seems rather conservative to me.
    On page 8 of J78 the capacity numbers for replenished D76 are quoted at 120/gallon.

The numbers in J78 for straight, one-shot D76 are indeed 4/litre.

Personally, I like using a replenishment routine.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    What a strange thread. Surely the pedantics of developer usage, diluted or otherwise are of no importance when processing what you shot into a printable negative?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    What a strange thread. Surely the pedantics of developer usage, diluted or otherwise are of no importance when processing what you shot into a printable negative?
    We could say what a strange reply.

In practice it's actually extremely important to have your processing under your full control to get good consistent results.

In the late 1960's I used the technique of increasing dev times in unreplenished developer, I soon switched to replenishment as it made sense and results where totally predictable.

There's various development options but which ever is chosen it's important to learn to get it right that way you can concentrate on making images with confidence.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Or use the DD method....dilute and discard....works for me!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    In practice it's actually extremely important to have your processing under your full control to get good consistent results.Ian
    I agree and that is exactly why I wonder why the OP is questioning dilution/or not and quantaties of developer.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It seems counter-intuitive to me to re-use a single batch of Xtol until it runs out of oomph.
    If you stopped after a few films,depending on your developer volume,you will have a "seasoned"batch of developer,which you can keep at a stable level of activity by replenishment.
    Xtol,being its own replenisher,makes it more amenable to this than D76.
    I first learnt about this on this forum - I'll never go back.
    Thanks folks

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    In the late 1960's I used the technique of increasing dev times in unreplenished developer, I soon switched to replenishment as it made sense and results where totally predictable.
    Ian
    I've tended to steer away from replenishment but maybe will try it with Xtol as it sounds rather simple, since the replenisher is the developer. However, doesn't your replenisher get stale as you decant it into the developer i.e. as the air gap at the top of the bottle of replenisher increases?

Lawrence

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lawrenceimpey View Post
    I've tended to steer away from replenishment but maybe will try it with Xtol as it sounds rather simple, since the replenisher is the developer. However, doesn't your replenisher get stale as you decant it into the developer i.e. as the air gap at the top of the bottle of replenisher increases?

Lawrence
    No, I squeeze out the air. Hint: It is easier to do this with plastic bottles than with glass bottles.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin