Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,820   Online: 1061

Shooter
    35mm

35 reversal film type question

Hi,
    I'm about to try reversal processing of Kodak Tri-x Super 8mm (7266) film.

I thought I would try an equivalent 35mm still film to test my process first before cracking the Super 8 rolls.

I began looking for an equivalent reversal B&W still film but got confused very quickly. Is the current Kodak Tri-x 35mm designed to be processed as slide?
    If not can someone recommend a 35mm film close to 7266 to run my tests?

Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No. Tri-X has always been a negative film. You could get a positive image out of it with positive processing, but I doubt it would look good, especially projecting it, which I assume is what you want to do with the super 8. Positive B&W film is extremely hard to come by these days, as is the chemistry. You'd have better luck processing the Tri-X normally, and then getting a dup of it on reversal stock.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks.
    I didn't realise still B&W slide film was difficult to source.
    I have the chemistry ready to go for 7266 reversal processing so perhaps I'll just have to cut a bit off and do my tests that way

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Peter, I have some 7266 in 16mm. I can expose say 2 or 3m and post it up to you if that helps you out?

While 35mm B&W reversal is not commonly available from all film manufacturers, there are two relatively easy to come by. Foma R100 and ADOX Silvermax.

In Sydney you should be able to get FOMA R100 from Chris at BlancoNegro in 35mm, 16, and double standard 8. He has looked after me in the past with the Foma film in 35mm.
    Last edited by Oxleyroad; 02-10-2013 at 04:14 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Added info on 35mm film
    Cheers - Andy C
    ---------------------

16mm Cine, 35mm, 120, 5x4 & 7x5.

Shooter
    35mm
    Andy,
    Thats mighty generous of you. That would be awesome.
    Are you sure?
    Also I didn't realise it was available in 16mm. That's exciting.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    "is the current Kodak Tri-x 35mm designed to be processed as slide?"

Weather designed to be processed as a B&W slide or not, it certainly is capable of being processed as a B&W slide. See www.dr5.com.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    HumbleP,
    at the moment I'd say that there's no reason why not to experiment on 35mm Tri-X. It's exactly what i have been doing the last week. I have 2 threads on this subject going at the moment. There are at least two contributors who have supplied invaluable help and links to relevant info. You can also see the results that I have got so far.

Caveat emptor(s). I have not yet applied my 35mm Tri-X test methods to real Super 8 Tri-X. Tri-X 35m does not have a clear base which may skew the perceptual results. So far, I have had no success with adding sodium thiosulphate to my 1st developer – it has only weakened the overall density of the image, even at 0.5 gm in 330ml developer. Still, I will work on the last factor a little more before I move onto a Super 8mm film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Peter,

I will post up the three samples of exposed 16mm 7266 film tomorrow. Each will be inside an old black film canister marked accordingly. Took me a while to think of what I could send the exposed film up to in.

I am interested how you go.

I have used 16mm Foma R100 to baseline my developing process before I ran 35mm Foma R100. So you should be able to do the same with the 16mm 7266 film to baseline for the super 8 film.
    Cheers - Andy C
    ---------------------

16mm Cine, 35mm, 120, 5x4 & 7x5.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks a lot Andy.
    That will be great. I'm still waiting on a few chems from Vanbar before I can go ahead but I'll certainly keep you posted & will post my results when I get them.

Cheers,
    Peter

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin