Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,705   Posts: 1,482,757   Online: 1051

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    No the specificity of the product was also due to the dip coating machine, that was the only one remaining in the world. The Efke 100 emulsion was designed to be coated with such a coating machine. Not with a modern 8 layer coating machine. This is incompatible with speed coating and so on. The sensitizer question is a annex question.

and, as for the Pan 100, Pan 400 and so much other products, we have to wait and see. For the first two, we are still waiting...
    Aurelien, Analog Photographer

the analog place to be

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurelien View Post
    No the specificity of the product was also due to the dip coating machine, that was the only one remaining in the world. The Efke 100 emulsion was designed to be coated with such a coating machine. Not with a modern 8 layer coating machine. This is incompatible with speed coating and so on. The sensitizer question is a annex question.

and, as for the Pan 100, Pan 400 and so much other products, we have to wait and see. For the first two, we are still waiting...

From the Adox website : +++ PAN 400 is ready for production but due to the sudden changes at Fotokemika who manufactured the CHS line of films for us we had to prioritize and decided to invest in the remanufacturing of a 100 ASA material at first+++

I'm pretty sure the quality of the new Adox 100 will be even better than Efke 100.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    OK. nobody asked the exact origin of the silvermax which is designed to bean ephemere film....

the analog place to be

Shooter
    Medium Format
    OK. nobody asked the exact origin of the silvermax which is designed to bean ephemere film....

Mirko from Adox:

"Silvermax is a special film based on an APX 100 emulsion but with a silver richer coating.
    It uses an Agfa stock of clear triacetate base just like our first coating of PAN 400 did. This helped keeping the price within reason.
    We have enough film for about 5 years. After this material is sold making such a film again will probably become very expensive"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by hoshisato View Post

If it were up to me they will follow up with an ADOX CHS 25 II and an ADOX IR 820, but that is just me writing down my 2013 Christmas list already in
    Now that the mighty Efke IR820 AURA is kaputt I'd kill to have anybody (ADOX or MACO/Rollei) take over it and improve. A proper IR film without anti-halatation ("aura") layer and consistent quality.

While a decent film the Rollei Infrared 400 is too harsh for my taste - too much "German precision thinking" I guess that takes away some of the artistic element while Efke Aura had it plenty (and a poor quality control as a side effect ).

The ex MACO IR820c AURA was also stunning film and was discontinued (I guess Efke took over the same recipe?). I also guess why they stopped is probably people complained about the light-leaks etc since the films without anti-halatation layer need to be taken care when loading into camera - it really needs good backing paper and MACO used white paper back then - not good idea (I often had paper numbers and sybols often reflected into film emulsion when developed even when I took care of loading)! I guess a solid pitch-black or deep gray Ilford SFX-like matte-paper would solve most of those issues with the "AURA" type IR films.

IMHO, when improved and when done right we could have "the next Kodak HIE" type of an artistically stunning IR film that differs day-and-night from any digital-IR tweaks that're gaining ground very fast. I've seen pretty close digital IR results to Rollei Infrared-like stuff, yet I've seen NOTHING close to the "AURA" IR films - light bounces around on film backing creating an interesting optical effect you just can't emulate in digital.

I'd gladly pay $7-10 per 120 roll for such an "Aura" film and buy bucketloads.

I hope ADOX reads this!
    Last edited by tsiklonaut; 02-11-2013 at 02:08 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

The quality of the product was linked to the coating technique, however no films from other manufacturers suffered from improved coating methods so why should this one ?

Are you in league with a rival, the answer seems to be yes as you promote Rollei/Maco, just let Fotoimpex get on with there projects for the benefit of us all.
    Ian

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I promote nobody , I have no rival, only colleagues.

What I mean is: one formula can't be coated with another coating technique.

So If Adox want to introduce a new 100 iso film, why not. But this film will be very different from the Efke one.

and I maintain that mirko 's explanation on CHS 100 discontinuation is false. It was discontinued because EFKE was down.

the analog place to be

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    ​The quality of the product was linked to the coating technique, however no films from other manufacturers suffered from improved coating methods so why should this one?
    Coating technique and emulsion have to fit each other. So you have to re-design the emulsion when changing the coating technique. This does not necessarily result in a different film in the end.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I disagree, (not with you AgX) but then I manufactured emulsions commercially for over a decade. I also coated Ilford Ilfospeed emulsion unconventionally.

Where there's a will there's a way.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tsiklonaut View Post
    The ex MACO IR820c AURA was also stunning film and was discontinued (I guess Efke took over the same recipe?).
    Macophot IR820c is/was rebadged Efke IR820 (same as Adox selling the Efke films as their CHS line), according to their US distributor who claims to have organised that rebranding arrangement after Maco produced and released a badly uneven batch of their own IR sheet film. The identical spectral sensitivity and use of Aura branding kind of gives it away too.

Same guy also asserts that the 820nm IR sensitiser is now very hard to source because the lab that was making it got bought and raised the MOQ to about $50k.

I guess Ilford is using a different sensitiser for SFX.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin